Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
DB61 Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tried to use external hard drive instead of usb flash drive to create recovery

hp notebook

My HP Notebook has been nagging me to "create recovery media". I decided to try it today.  How much of a problem have I created by trying to use an external hard drive instead of a usb flashdrive? It has been working at it for over an hour and now that I have read more believe this is going to fail.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
9365 9362 869 2508
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well the Recovery Manager is not going to like the external drive because the Recovery media needs to be in a form the PC can boot to.  Either DVD or USB flash drives are supported.  If it does support an external drive, I am not aware of that working.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
15439 15384 1437 3417
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DB61

If you really want to use an external drive for recovery (I do this all the time!) then there is a working alternative ...

My suggestion is you consider using a third-party solution known as Macrium Reflect (MR).

I personally prefer to use third-party Recovery solutions as they tend to be both more flexible and more reliable than any built-in solutions.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive, USB stick, or DVDs
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 10 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore. Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry. This allows you then to boot into WinPE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows!

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive, USB or DVDs stick in only a few minutes.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation