cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
JoLund Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Troubleshooting gaming performance with the HP Envy

HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello HP Community,

So I am currently in posession of a HP Envy product number M1W01UA#ABL; it has Intel-core i7-5500 CPU at 2.4GHz, 16 GB of RAM, Intel HD Graphics 5500 (integrated), and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M graphics card. I'm here because when I'm playing a certain game, I seem to be having performance issues even on the lowest setings well below the optimal graphics settings; stuttering, FPS loss, freezing occassionally, and I don't understand why. Now I know immediately the issue of overheating will come up, but I have a cooling pad that I use and my CPU averages the temperature at about 57C, it never really goes higher then 60C.

What I assume is happening is that either the processor can't handle all that is going on within the game (though I would be very surprised if that is the case, and frankly a little dissapointed, given I have a friend with a less powerful HP Envy who doesn't seem to have any issues), that the CPU is limiting it's performance due to heat, or that there are background OS processes being a bother and sucking up my resources (not entirely evident in the Task Manager).

I would appreciate any help and advice you could offer.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I will relocate it if that is the case.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Retired
Retired
15,765 14,098 714 1,904
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @JoLund,

Welcome to the HP Forum! I am pleased that you have become a HP Forum member. It is such a wonderful site to find answers and tips. Here is a link to guide you to having the most rewarding experience and answer any concerns about posting: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that when playing certain games you experience stuttering, FPS loss and occasionally freezing. You are using a cooling pad and overheating is not an issue. When I checked the specifications your notebook came with Windows 8.1 and you are now running Windows 10. 

Have you done all your Windows updates?

Have you run the Windows troubleshooter?

Have you run the HP Support Assistant ?

Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Green Screen and Other Video Playback Issues (Windows 8, 7) that should help. Although it does not list Windows 10 the steps will be the same.

Please let me know if this helped.

If this post helps you to resolve the issue, please pay it forward by clicking "Accept as Solution".You can click the “Thumbs Up Icon” to say thanks for my assistance.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
15,765 14,098 714 1,904
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @JoLund,

Thank you for the update.  

As the above has not helped, I suggest that you test for hardware failures to rule that out. HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎

Please let me know the results.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation