Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 255 G5
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have purchased the HP 255 G5 with SSD and Windows 10 but I need to install Windows 7 Pro on it instead.

I have changed the BIOS settings to LEGACY but it won't install as it says it is a GPT partition

What do I have to do to get this sorted please?

Thank you, Nigel

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

So you can boot the Windows 7 installer and it stops on the disk setup? Have you tried deleting all existing partitions on the drive with the installer? That includes the system and recovery partitions...make the drive all unallocated space then use the "new" button to format and partition it for Windows 7.

This is the AMD model, right? It can run Windows 7 but drivers are going to be a challenge. 

HP Recommended

I have changed the BIOS to Legacy, inserted Win7 boot CD and it "loaded files". Changed the LANGUAGE to English UK and then clicked INSTALL NOW. I accepted the T&Cs, selected CUSTOM INSTALL. Deleted the RECOVERY PARTITION, then PARTIT ION1. Total disk (119.2GB is now unallocated. Clicked on NEW and made the 122103 MB into a partition. This made a SYSTEM RESERVE Partition of 100.0MB and PARTITION 2 = 119.1 GB (PRIMARY). Clicked NEXT and it started to copy WINDOWS files etc

When completed and restarting, black screen appeared stating windows failed to start. It now loops rouns trying to start but fails.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.