Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavillion G7-1150us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Repairing a notebook that went through some "percussion maintenance" courtesy of my father-in-law. Replaced the damaged motherboard and hard drive. Got a recovery USB from HP. Put the drive in fired it up, it posts, says starting windows and then reboots, endlessly. I have gone in to change boot priority to no avail. Could not find a "legacy" mode or any other tidbits I have found online. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@jcass

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

The HP Recovery Media is "locked" so that it will only work with genuine HP OEM motherboards.

So, if you used something you bought over the Internet to replace the HP motherboard, the recovery media is not going to work.

This is done to prevent folks from using HP Recovery Media to install Windows in other brand PCs.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

This appears to be the same board, as HP said the board was no longer available, I purchased a used one. All marking, rev # are the same as the original, including the HP sticker. The only thing I am seeing so far is the possibility that the notebook does not have USB 3.0 ports and the recovery USB HP sold me is USB 3.0. Any thoughts?

HP Recommended

UPDATE.

I decided hell with it and went to load a new install of windows 10. got an error to the effect of Kernel Security Check Failure. Googling this advised a possible memory error. At this point I remembered that I may have left some other memory in it I used for testing. I swapped the memory, put in the recovery USB and the recovery utility came up. Yay. It completes the "Reformatting windows partition" and "Copying files required to restore the hard drive", but upon starting the last task of "Restoring files to the hard drive", I immediately get the error for missing file(see photo)Recovery error

HP Recommended

@jcass

There have been reports that some of the HP Recovery Media had defects such that it failed to work properly.

The "solution" to that (as proposed by HP) is to contact HP Customer Support, explain the errors you're getting with their Recovery Media -- and they are then supposed to send you NEW media which does not have those defects.

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

If you have trouble finding a phone number, then try: 1 (800) 474-6836

---------------------------------------
However, HP Customer Support is generally not available on the weekends, so you might have to wait until Monday to contact them.
---------------------------------------

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Unfortunately this is a very common occurrence with Windows 7 Recovery Media. I wouldn't even bother with the hassle of trying to get new media. There are several long threads on the forum about this error- and replacement media doing the same thing..with NO changes to mb and hdd. If you call that is what they will blame your failure on.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.