Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Is it possible to configure my Pavilion dv6 laptop to support two external monitors?  it does not look like there is a docking station connection on the bottom of the laptop

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I am just writing this note using my HP Pavillion dv6 (AMD A8), and I am using two Samsung 27" external monitors, an Samsung 2770hd (HDMI output) and a Samsung SyncMaster T260 *DVI w/VGA cable).

I am using the HDMI and the VGA output from my HP laptop. Do make the VGA connector fit, I used a dremel cut tool to easily remove one plastic side area of the connector. It was very easy and I had to do it because my VGA connector was too big and it would not let me put the hdmi connector next to it.

Otherwise, it works amazingly.  I could use 1900x1200 resolution, but one of my monitors (VGA) has only a resolution of 1900x1080, so I have both at that resolution.

This machine is faster than my older HP desktop and does not occupy any space.. Nice work AMD..!!!  I like that this machine can use the integrated and discrete GPU together using crossfire..

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi,

dv6 series has hundreds of models, what is the model of your machine and what is its operating system ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Specific model is 6v6t purchased in 2011.  Product Number QA796AV

Windows 7 operating system

HP Recommended

I am just writing this note using my HP Pavillion dv6 (AMD A8), and I am using two Samsung 27" external monitors, an Samsung 2770hd (HDMI output) and a Samsung SyncMaster T260 *DVI w/VGA cable).

I am using the HDMI and the VGA output from my HP laptop. Do make the VGA connector fit, I used a dremel cut tool to easily remove one plastic side area of the connector. It was very easy and I had to do it because my VGA connector was too big and it would not let me put the hdmi connector next to it.

Otherwise, it works amazingly.  I could use 1900x1200 resolution, but one of my monitors (VGA) has only a resolution of 1900x1080, so I have both at that resolution.

This machine is faster than my older HP desktop and does not occupy any space.. Nice work AMD..!!!  I like that this machine can use the integrated and discrete GPU together using crossfire..

HP Recommended
My AMD HP DV6 has a Processor AMD A8-3530MX APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 6620G, 1900 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
HP Recommended

did you need to make any other adjustments?  The reason I ask is that everytime i shut my laptop the monitor goes down (this is just connected to one monitor).  I want to be able to have my laptop shut if possible when connected to the monitors.

HP Recommended

One or  two monitors behave the same way.  Your question is not very clear. If I close my laptop, and the laptop is set to go to sleep when I close the lit, then the monitors will lose the signal and depending on their settings, they will turn off later.

The only adjustment I had to do was to go to the display settings to configure the monitors settings.

HP Recommended
Hey Ahcp,

I'm just trying to get two monitors to work with my dv6 (dv6-6137TX - i7 based with AMD Radeon 6770, running Win7SP1 x64), but whenever I connect both the VGA and HDMI ports, the HDMI port seems to get partially disabled.

Windows correctly detects 3 monitors (laptop display #1, HDMI #2 and VGA #3), but will only allow me to extend to one other display (primary + 1). I can switch the primary between any of the three screens, but it can only ever extend to one other.

Which graphics card do you have in yours and did you have to do anything special with the drivers?

Thanks
Craig
HP Recommended

My DV6 system had the AMD APU and the AMD Radeon discrete GPU card.  The AMD integrated GPU can be linked to the Radeon discrete card through AMD's Crossfire to enable the proper extended display/rendering support.

Your DV6-6137TX - i7 is an Intel based system.

Intel, and even more, the old Intel integrated GPU's are not compatible with AMD's crossfire, and/or the nvidia SLI. They didn't even support Direct X 11 in that time. Later cards had a lot of problems with NVIDIA's SLI's. I don't know if the latest Intel integrated GPU's can be used today with the NVIDIA SLI or AMD's Crossfire.

Hopefully you can find a way to make it work..!!  

HP Recommended

Hey achp,

thanks for responding, yeah, I'm guessing the Intel HD3000 wont be able to be linked to the AMD Radeon HD 6670, its always going to be an either/or situation.  Bummer.

Still I'm somewhat happy with running my dual 20" externally for now.  Perhaps one day someone will come up with a way of running the laptop screen at the same time...

I do recall some one hacking together hybrid drivers to support multiple graphics cards, where they didn't have to be the same brand/model.  But I think that was only for desktops and was possibly not particularly robust...

Thanks again

Craig

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.