cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

UPDATE: HELP! Pavilion dv9620us screen blank after F.34 BIOS update from F.32

Pavilion dv9620us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After installing Windows 10 64-bit (clean install), updates and all, I tested that everything worked right and it actually performed quite well! So I decided to update the BIOS to the latest version (F.34) from the previous version F.32 (note: nothing was plugged in aside from the AC cord). At the end of the process, the screen went completely blank but I remembered that the Restart button was highlighted, so I pressed Enter and the computer restarted.

When the computer restarts,the LED lights work and the fan spins but that's all. I have performed a hard reset (several times actually), tried holding down Windows+B, connected it to an external display (no image on it either), I've looked into recovery options such as WINCRIS (in XP SP3 compatibility mode) but I'm unable to use it since I can't select the files required, the Browse button is greyed-out, and I even removed the RAM modules and put them back in.

The only help I could find was the BIOS recovery help page http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833, but the BIOS executable for my computer doesn't offer an option to make a recovery disk, so I'm completely stuck.

Either I missed a step or I'm doing something wrong. It really sucks that the BIOS update from the maker of the computer would render it useless...

Any help would be appreciated!

UPDATE:

I decided to give the WINCRIS BIOS flash method another try, where you create a USB flash drive with the BIOS file on it, remove the battery, disconnect the power cable, hold down the Windows+B keys, plug in the power cable, press the power button, wait three seconds and release the keys. The problem is the BIOS files contain two different usable .WPH documents (one A and one B). I tried with the A, renamed it BIOS.WPH and now I get 1 long + 2 short beeps. That's the furthest  I've been able to get to yet.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
1,071 1,006 54 138
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @GaelN,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I have read your post and understand that your HP Pavilion dv9620us is not booting after attempting a BIOS update. I have researched the issue and have come up with a possible resolution. First, please perform a hard reset. Once that is complete, please follow the steps in these documents:

HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10)

HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

If the documents do not help you resolve the issue, try restoring the BIOS again.

Thank you, I look forward to your response with the outcome.

If this post has helped you, feel free to click the thumbs up!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @FlashRam1714

Thank you kindly for replying to my message.

I have consulted both articles, unfortunately to no avail. Also, the BIOS executable for this model does not offer a way to creat a BIOS restoration USB key, like the way it's mentioned in the third document.

Are there any other options available?
0 Kudos
Level 6
411 411 20 42
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes , pull out bios chip flash it and then solder it back in , thats best way to fix it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey TM4,

I don't suppose you have a step-by-step video explaining how to do that, do you? (I do get that it was a joke)

Cheers

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation