Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
20 16 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

USB 3.0 Port is Connecting at 2.0

HP Recommended

HP 8540w

Win 7 x64

Latest Renesas firmware and drivers (sp54511, sp54705) installed

I plug in my LG Bl-Ray writer (BE14NU40) and it reports that the port is running at 2.0 not 3.0.

How do I fix this?

Thanks for the help,

Greg

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,321 41,568 4,542 11,932
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are you plugging the writer's usb connector to a usb port with the SS (usb 3.0) on on the right hand side of your mobile workstation?

The usb ports on the left hand side are usb 2.0

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to find the product number

#HelpStopTheSpread
#PracticeSocialDistancing

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
20 16 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes.  The SS ports are on the right side of my laptop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,321 41,568 4,542 11,932
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Verify the transfer bandwidth with another device such as a USB 3.0 flashdrive. Open two seperate explorer windows. One opened to the usb flashdrive and the other to the folder where you are transferring data to.

The previous troubleshooting scenario suggestion is made in order to isolate the issue to either the usb 3.0 port or the device.

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to find the product number

#HelpStopTheSpread
#PracticeSocialDistancing

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
34 34 2 3
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Morning,

Another thing you can check is to make sure that the device you are using is USB 3 and that you are using USB 3 cables 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
20 16 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The device (LG Blu-Ray writer) is USB 3.0 certified as is the cable.  When I plug it in I receive the notification windown saying that the device will run faster if I plug it into a USB 3.0 port.

And, yes, the port into which it is plugged (my fifth grade English teacher would be happy with that phrasing) is a blue, SS-marked port.

I believe I have a USB 3.0 flash drive by Corsair in my briefcase.  I'll test with it.  Otherwise, I'll have to brave the Black Friday shoppers and go out to get one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
34 34 2 3
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thinking about this could it be that the main USB host controller is not loading the XHCI driver when a USB device is detected.

you could try updating the chipset (sp48432.exe) before getting squashed by the black friday shoppers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
20 16 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm already running sp48432 but will reload just to be safe.  Is there a way to check for the presence of the XHCI driver in Device Manager?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
34 34 2 3
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I believe the Root Hub is where you look, if you have a look in the device manager, find the Root Hub (there are probably more than 1) and go to the properties, then click on Advnaced it will tell you what speed the hub is running at. USB2 is High Speed and USB 3 is Super Speed

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
20 16 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1. I plugged a Corsair 32GB USB 3.0 stick into the SS port and it loaded fine. I didn't get the Windows message saying to plug into a USB 3 port so I believe it is running at Super Speed.

2. In Device Mangler (!) I see two USB Root Hubs which are tied to Intel Series/3400 Enhanced Host Controllers (running at High Speed) and then my Renesas USB 3.0 Root Hub. The Renesas does not have an Advanced tab in Properties but it is running the nusb3hub.sys driver. 

One thing I wonder is it shows the Location as 0 where the other USB Root Hubs show their locations tied into the controller.  Shouldn't its location tie into the Renesas  USB 3.0 Host Controller?

Thanks for all of the help.

Greg

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation