Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion Dv4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having trouble with my Usb port powering... i think.

I have an external mouse that i plug into the usb port directly next to my power supply port. 

Here is the catch, when both power supply cord and usb are both plugged in at the same time my mouse disconnects and reconnects multiple times but when i disconnect my power supply cord and only have my usb connected the mouse works just fine.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@RyanPiv

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP DV4 laptop. I read that when the USB mouse and the ac adapter are connected at the same time, the mouse disconnects and reconnects multiple times. The mouse works fine if the charger is disconnected.

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• If you connect the mouse to another USB port then does it work fine with the charger connected?
  • Do other USB devices work fine when connected next to the power supply post when the charger is also connected?

Meanwhile, let us run a test on the USB ports by following the below steps:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a test on the USB Port - This test is interactive and requires you to connect an external USB device, like a mouse, keyboard, or USB flash drive when prompted.

Before running the test, make sure there are no USB devices connected to the port you want to test. To start the test, click USB Port, click Run once, and then connect a USB device to the port you want to test. Repeat the steps if you need to test other USB ports on the computer.

Let me know how it goes. I'm always here to assist you. Cheers! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.