Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
AbhiraNatarajan Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ubuntu on FreeDos grub-efi-amd64-signed package failed to install

AY005TX
Linux

Unable to install Ubuntu 16.04.1 on HP AY005TX that I bought yday with FreeDOS.Error is

grub-efi-amd64-signed package failed to install

Please help asap as I need to install for college.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Provost Provost
Provost
38161 37981 5800 10074
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Do you have secure boot on or off in the BIOS? From what media are you trying to install Ubuntu? DVD or thumb drive? 

0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Failure happens always...failed with Thumb drive multiple times, changed partitions etc yet it failed. Created a DVD and tried some minutes back and it failed. Secure boot is disabled and grey ...cant bechanged in BIO. Please let me know if you want me to setup something there. Thanks for your help.

PS It is really irritating as I bought the laptop in an amazon sale without Windows...now I need to see what to do. Am I making a mistake trying Ubuntu? IS it specific to this laptop model AY005TX? I assume it is not a hardware issue. The same ubuntu  build has worked for a friend on an ACER laptop with Windows 8 preinstalled. Is Ubuntu worth the trouble...I need to use the laptop for Matlab. THanks.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
31 29 2 6
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You may have better luck checking out Ubuntu web pages, e.g. the links on http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop.

In particular, I think you should read up on UEFI, e.g. https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295

Matlab seems to be available for Linux, and I personally like Linux very much.

0 Kudos
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am forced to become a CS geek, while my intention is to be a plain user. All those links provided only shows HP has done UEFI setup to only support MS. In simple dont buy HP if you want to use Ubuntu. Explains why MS is yet the king. Finally why should a silly user become an expert to install Ubuntu..shows why MS is better. Just your love for Linux wont do justice.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
38161 37981 5800 10074
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ubuntu 16.04 should have no problem with secure boot or UEFI. 

0 Kudos
AbhiramNataraj Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That does not solve the problem does it. Well it is Ubuntu 16.04.1 and unable to load it on HP Ay 005 TX..simple. Managed to load Lubuntu but well not able to get the Wifi up here. Looks like HP is made for Windows and Ubuntu is not worth touching. None of you seem to have a solution. Worse still my login in id and password do not work today and I have to reset again. Strange HP and HP forum!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation