Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 4 (1,597 Views)

Unable to Shrink my C: drive in HP Laptop

Hi all,

I have a HP Pavilion dv6 6119tx laptop. I recently replaced my Hard Disk with a 1TB Hitachi HDD as my old HDD had gone bad. I used the HP recovery disk and did a Factory Reset. Windows Installation was successful. I booted my system, in My Computer it showed only C: drive of size 917GB. Hence I decided to Shrink the C: drive and create a new partition. Using Disk Management tool of windows I was able to reduce C: drive to 460GB only. But I want It to reduce to 200 or 250 GB. 

I visted microsoft forums and support sites and tried out few things like running disk cleanup, disk defragmenter and also did chkdsk, but none of them worked. 

Can any one tell me how do I shrink C: drive further. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks In advance.

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 4 (1,590 Views)

Re: Unable to Shrink my C: drive in HP Laptop

[ Edited ]

KiranManju wrote:

Hi all,

I have a HP Pavilion dv6 6119tx laptop. I recently replaced my Hard Disk with a 1TB Hitachi HDD as my old HDD had gone bad. I used the HP recovery disk and did a Factory Reset. Windows Installation was successful. I booted my system, in My Computer it showed only C: drive of size 917GB. Hence I decided to Shrink the C: drive and create a new partition. Using Disk Management tool of windows I was able to reduce C: drive to 460GB only. But I want It to reduce to 200 or 250 GB. 

I visted microsoft forums and support sites and tried out few things like running disk cleanup, disk defragmenter and also did chkdsk, but none of them worked. 

Can any one tell me how do I shrink C: drive further. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks In advance.

Hi

This may be due to existence of files spread out across the drive will limit the amount by which you can shrink the volume.  You can defrag to reduce this but there will still be immoveable files that will create a limit for you.

I think you will have to decide on a complete reinstallation to resolve matters but that's just my opinion.  During the installation, choose the option to partition the disk & set it to create a partition that is no less than 70GB and Windows will happily install into that.

Back up the  image partition to DVD  before you start anything as you will destroy this partition during the reinstallation and might also do so just trying to move partitions around.

Also you may use third party softwares like EaseUs Partition Master. Important thing when messing with partitions is that you will see a system reserved partition(small 100 (I think i have seen it as big as 300 on Win8) MB partition before everything). Don't mess with it as that is what boots windows. 

Hope this helps to resolve your concern

thanks,

** I'm a Volunteer AND I don't work for HP **

Click the "THUMBS UP ICON" to say "Thank you" and the "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find this fix/answer easily
Top Student
Message 3 of 4 (1,582 Views)

Hi Visruth,

I have installed the OS on the new HDD using HP recovery DVDs. I have done that twice in the past three days. But while installing the OS(factory reset) I never came across the option of specifying the Windows partition size. Initially the contents of the DVD were copied into HDD(to create a Recovery Partition) and after that it started installing the Win7 but never asked for specifying the partition size, other wise I would have resticted my C: drive to only 200 GB. It only asked the User Name and Password while creating an User Account. Is there any option I have to select so that It prompts me to specify the partition size?

Does using EaseUS Partition Master cause for shrinking C: drive cause any problem while booting?

One more thing I wanted to get clarified, my HP recovery disk did not show option for System Recovery, It only showed for Factory Reset and Reinstall Drivers. Is that normal ?

Last question, my new HDD is making slight grainy noise is it normal ? I hope it is due to mechanical parts inside it.

--Regards

Kiran 

visruth wrote:

KiranManju wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks In advance.

Hi

This may be due to existence of files spread out across the drive will limit the amount by which you can shrink the volume.  You can defrag to reduce this but there will still be immoveable files that will create a limit for you.

I think you will have to decide on a complete reinstallation to resolve matters but that's just my opinion.  During the installation, choose the option to partition the disk & set it to create a partition that is no less than 70GB and Windows will happily install into that.

Back up the  image partition to DVD  before you start anything as you will destroy this partition during the reinstallation and might also do so just trying to move partitions around.

Also you may use third party softwares like EaseUs Partition Master. Important thing when messing with partitions is that you will see a system reserved partition(small 100 (I think i have seen it as big as 300 on Win8) MB partition before everything). Don't mess with it as that is what boots windows. 

Hope this helps to resolve your concern

thanks,

Provost
Message 4 of 4 (1,574 Views)

Hi KiranManju

I have installed the OS on the new HDD using HP recovery DVDs. I have done that twice in the past three days. But while installing the OS(factory reset) I never came across the option of specifying the Windows partition size. Initially the contents of the DVD were copied into HDD(to create a Recovery Partition) and after that it started installing the Win7 but never asked for specifying the partition size, other wise I would have resticted my C: drive to only 200 GB. It only asked the User Name and Password while creating an User Account. Is there any option I have to select so that It prompts me to specify the partition size?

Does using EaseUS Partition Master cause for shrinking C: drive cause any problem while booting?

Windows dont advocate creating partitons. So you'll not be seeing any options. EaseUs gives us the option for that. Any partiton software when used in a HDD with data can cause errors, corruption later on if proper allocation of spaces are not there in the disc in the first place. If you are using Windows Disk management - defrag & expand is other option after the OS is installed, but that too can wreck havoc.

One more thing I wanted to get clarified, my HP recovery disk did not show option for System Recovery, It only showed for Factory Reset and Reinstall Drivers. Is that normal ?

Normally, System Recovery would be present in HP Recovery Manager, I dont know what happened here - may be corrupted.

c03573444.jpg

Last question, my new HDD is making slight grainy noise is it normal ? I hope it is due to mechanical parts inside it.

Do a complete harddrive test to confirm whether everything is alright. I dont think that should have occured.

Hope this helped you,

thanks,

***PLEASE CLICK "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM***

***CLICK KUDOS IF YOU APPRECIATE MY REPLY***

** I'm a Volunteer AND I don't work for HP **

Click the "THUMBS UP ICON" to say "Thank you" and the "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find this fix/answer easily
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation