cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
bgquilts
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Unable to install 3rd party software - HP Pavilion dv5-1002 running Windows Vista

HP Recommended

I have spent days on my own and over 1-1/2 hours with Adobe IT support attempting to install Adobe Photoshop elements 6 software.  We have tried everything and the last thing the IT said was to contact my computer company.  We tried to use the Windows cleanup utility and it also refused to run. 

I recieve a Licening error when trying to launch the Photoshop Elements software.  How do I determine if it is my computer or the software company's problem?

Do you have any suggestions for me?

bgquilts

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
iam_fletcher
Level 4
105 99 5 43
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Things that usualy keep programs from installing in windows are if the Installer service has tanked, or if there is a registry entry causing errors.

-INSTALLER SERVICE- The easiest way to test the installer service is to simply install somthing else that uses windows installer. If there is some kind of problem with the installer you can go online support.microsoft.com you can download the lastest version of the windows installer which, coincidentaly uses the installer service to install. If it works, then your installer service should be fine.

-Registry- somtimes if a person has a previous version of a software package, and it is not removed properly, it can mess up the registry location that future versions install too and will not allow future versions of the software to install. If this is the case, you are looking at a long painful process of registry trial and error, or doing a recovery.

If it is neither of these things then try runnnig in compatability mode (I would assume the adobe agent already tried that) if that doesn't work then there is a problem with the software or an incompatability with the Operating system. Are you on Vista 64-bit? If so that could be the problem.

The First Sacred Law of Computers: Fast, Reliable, Cheap.....Pick Two The Second Sacred Law of Computers: Ask not of others that which may be easier found by Google The Third Sacred Law of Computers: Thou shalt not ask about an error message one did not bother to write down
0 Kudos
ShawnaW
Level 3
93 83 1 3
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It sounds from your wording like you got the program installed, it just won't run.

This may sound off the wall, but it works when other things fail.

Uninstall the program -> Find the folder it created when it was installed and rename it. (don't delete it.)

Reinstall

If it launches okay, go back and delete the folder you renamed.

If none of what was posted here helps you, you might post back with what Adobe had you do.

0 Kudos
JJLuvzU
Level 4
Level 4
93 92 3 34
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"How do I determine if it is my computer or the software company's problem"

My suggestion:

Try installing Adobe Photoshop on other notebook/PC, and see if this issue can be duplicated.

If so, then it's Adobe application's problem.  If cannot duplicate issue, then it's the notebook's problem.

"Appreicate a Kudo if you like my post or find it useful."
0 Kudos
iam_fletcher
Level 4
105 99 5 43
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
That is only a valid trouble shooting step if the other notebook is exactly the same in every way....OS version, exsist software package, and registry structure. If there is any difference in one of those things you could easily have a config or incompatabiliy error in one and not the other.
The First Sacred Law of Computers: Fast, Reliable, Cheap.....Pick Two The Second Sacred Law of Computers: Ask not of others that which may be easier found by Google The Third Sacred Law of Computers: Thou shalt not ask about an error message one did not bother to write down
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation