cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Eniq
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unable to reinstall OS on new hard drive

Probook 655
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi.

The original hard drive in my laptop died just after the warranty ended:( I purchased a new SSD drive and tried to reinstall OS from the recovery DVDs delivered with the laptop. I have tried both Win7 and Win8.1 media.

With the Win7 Pro media the installation seems to go through but the Windows always fails to start. The description says that Windows failed to load because kernel is missing or corrupt. The missing file is always different, e.g. ntoskrnl.exe. The given error status with this file was 0xc0000221.

With the Win8.1 media the installation did not succeed at all because some files were missing. Now I cannot even boot from the Win8.1 DVD.

What could I do?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Level 15
Level 15
19,419 19,359 1,805 4,283
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Eniq

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about problems reinstalling from the recovery media to an SSD and wanted to help.

Two questions: (1) how big was the old hard drive (capacity), (2) how big is the SSD (capacity)?

Asking because while I was able to migrate my HP DV6 HDD to an SSD, I did that using an SSD the same capacity as the HDD.

I have been told here, that as long as the SSD is at least 256GB, the HP recovery will work -- but I have not tried that and can not personally confirm that.

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
lite_sabre
Level 1
10 10 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello.

To my knowledge, the recovery disc only works on hard drives with Windows OS already installed.  If you are using a brand new drive without Windows OS, I think you are going to have to spend the money a buy a copy of Windows 7 0r 8, you can find it online.

I have replaced a few hard drives, and used a COPYof Windows I had purchased.

Be aware, you will need to re install all your drivers, re connect to your router/network,update Windows with all their updates, re install your anti virus program, re install other programs and so on.

As all your cookies are gone, every important web site will as to verify your identity.  Banks, credit card companies, email accounts might ask your those security questions.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
19,419 19,359 1,805 4,283
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The HP Recovery Media is designed such that, when you boot from it, the recovery manager runs and the first part of the process is erasing and reformatting the entire drive.

It does not run inside Windows, nor does it need the drive to be preformatted with Windows filesystems.

However, if the target drive is too small, the recovery process will fail as it will not be able to recreate the original partitions in their original sizes.

Good Luck
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Eniq
2 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your answers.

The SSD drive is smaller, only 120 Gb while the original was 500 Gb.

In the installation of Win7 from the recovery DVDs the installation program creates two partitions: 100 Mb as system and the rest as primary.

Also the Win8.1 seemed to create two partitions with system partition size of 300 Mb. I believed the rest of the 120Gb should be plenty for Windows installation. The original hdd had 1Gb of system partition, recovery partition and 450 Gb Win partition. I tried to change the system partition to 1 Gb in the installation program before the installation but it didn't help. Is it really so that the recovery DVDs "know" the original hdd size and cannot install on a smaller drive? At least the created system partition was not the same as in the original drive.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation