Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (506 Views)

Unable to turn on Wifi on HP Pavilion G6-1234sa

[ Edited ]
Product Name: HP Pavilion G6-1234sa
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

This is the first time I am using this forum so I hope someone can please help me. I have had to clean install Windows 7 Home Premium  on my HP Pavilion G6-1234sa now I am unable to turn the Wifi adapter on. I have tried all the drivers listed on the HP website under the HP Pavilion G6-1234sa model and none of them work, I have tied to turn the Wifi adapter on with Fn + F12 and just pressing F12 alone but that doesn’t work either. I have gone through the entire forum to find a solution to the issue I am facing however none of the suggestions I tried worked.

Please can someone guide me to the correct Wifi driver for this model and how I can turn the adapter on?

These are the drivers I have tried for this model:

Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11bgn Wireless LAN Driver (SP57049)

Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN Driver June 2011 (SP55040)

Wifi Driver June 2012 (SP57538)

Thank you so much for your help!!

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 6 (501 Views)

Re: Unable to turn on Wifi on HP Pavilion G6-1234sa

Hi:

Please post the hardware ID for the wireless card, so I can figure out what driver you need for it.

To find the hardware ID, go to the device manager and there should be a device listed as a Network Controller found under an Other Devices category.

Click on the Network Controller device, and then click on the Details tab at the top of the Network Controller window.

Now you will see a Property drop down list and it will be set on Device Description.

Drop down on that list and select the 2nd item (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters that you see in the window.

Honor Student
Message 3 of 6 (492 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

There is no Network controller device listed on Drvice manager.

I have the following listed only

Ethernet Controller (I have the correct driver for this now)
PCI Device
SM Bus Controller

The F12 Wifi light is still orange....

Provost
Message 4 of 6 (475 Views)

Hi:

See if installing the HP connection manager software and using that to turn on the wireless gets it to work.

If not, most likely the wireless card is dead.

This package provides the HP Connection Manager for the supported notebook models and operating systems.

File name: sp54004.exe

You need these drivers for the other 2...

PCI Device:

This package contains the driver that enables the Realtek Card Reader in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. The card reader enables users to read from or write to supported removable storage cards, which are typically used in digital cameras, digital music players, and cellular phones.

File name: sp55085.exe

SMBus Controller:

I have zipped up and attached the driver you need for that below.

Download and unzip the file to its folder.  Do not do anything with the files in the folder.

Go to the device manager, and click on the smbus controller needing drivers.

Click on the driver tab, click on update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder you unzipped.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC.

Honor Student
Message 5 of 6 (469 Views)

Thanks for trying to help Paul!

I have all the drivers for the others listed, just tried the HP connection manager and it only shows the Ethernet (Wired LAN), Do you know if there is any other way to check if the adapter is still working. The adapter was working fine until I reinstalled windows fresh. I accidentally deleted the HP Recovery Partition as I had few OS installed on this Laptop.

Highlighted
Provost
Message 6 of 6 (463 Views)

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a foolproof way to test the wireless card but the fact that it doesn't show up as a network controller in the device manager and the fact that the connection manager doesn't pick it up, sure indicates a hardware issue.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to consult chapter 4 of the service manual for how to remove and replace the wlan card.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02968997

Just remove the card and firmly reseat it, and see if it works. 

Sometimes the contacts get oxidized, so it loses the power connection.

Try removing and reseating the card without removing the antennas, because those are a slight bit of a pain to re-attach.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation