cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
TechyBee
Level 2
28 22 0 3
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

Unacceptable Phone Service

HP Recommended
Me and my grandpa called up HP because my I broke my notebook charging port. I plugged in my laptop but the AC Adapter kept popping out. I didn't realize if there was something inside the port when I looked inside it, I gave my computer to my grandpa because I didn't know what was wrong he shined a light on the port, we realized the metal receptacle inside has fallen out. We then looked up HP'S phone number and then immediately we got hooked up with an Indian Agent. We both noticed that where ever he came from there was a lot of awful background noise during the call. We asked what we had to do, he said he'd send a technician to look at my laptop to our house. Now my grandpa asked how much would this be and they said 200 dollars. We are like "forget it" and hung up. I later found the real HP on chat, a person kindly made the Box Plus Pick up, 6 Day Door to Door. I was then thinking if the number we called was a Fraud HP number because I highly doubt that HP would say something so stupid. What do you all make of this?
~Techy
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
12,551 12,335 1,294 4,125
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello TeckyBee,

This is a common thing that happens to the uninformed that search for support on Google and such. There are a lot of imitators, scammers and look alike websites that claim to either be HP Support, affiliated with or certified by.

This is a link to the official Support page.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

Its good that you didnt pay the fee to have some stranger come to your house. Most likely, no one would have showed up anyway and you would have been out your money. I also wouldnt be surprised if you gave them any personal info, you start getting fake tech support calls telling you your computer is infected. Microsoft or HP  DO NOT make calls to customers telling them they are noticing problems with a persons computer, just so you know.

This article will help a little on the subject.

How to recognize a rogue website?

Also there are a lot of YouTube videos out there from people who have been called by scammers also. If you have time, look some of them up to see what happens when a fake agent calls.

Example, (its a long video but informative😞 ▶ Scamming the Scammers - How to Handle Fake Tech Support Calls - YouTube

In the future, if you have questions about your HP computer, feel free to ask here on the forum. It's not a direct portal to HP Support but is run by HP and volunteer based. Its also a good place to start.  🙂

Good luck. 

TechyBee
Author
Level 2
28 22 0 3
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Ha! Good thing I didn't give them anything. I find it hilarious that they claimed to be HP but really was some poor idiots.
~Techy
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation