cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
eiler2000
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Uninstall HP device encryption

HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G1
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am trying to uninstall HP Drive Encryption in order to uninstall HP Client Security in order to upgrade to Windows 10.

Whenever I try to uninstall it, it says I should disable Drive Encryption from the HP Client Security. I'm not able to disable it, because when I go there and follow the guide I found on this website it is not enabled at all.  The guide says to untick the box and then click apply, but it is already unticked.

Any advice how to fix this?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RickBoatright
Level 1
3 2 1 1
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After using chat to talk to an HP support person, our concensus was that since the drive was NOT encrypted, we could force the uninstall using Revo Uninstaller. 

The criteria for this decision were: 

1. There was no drive encryption password requested from the BIOS before boot. 
  2. In HP Client Security, there was no checkmark next to the C: drive. 

Before uninstalling, I brought up the BIOS setup and disabled TPM.  This eliminated the (_ugly_) HP / Winmark login screen from the  bios prior to boot.  At that point, the computer was booting directly to the normal windows 10 login screen, but HPCS and HPDE still refused to uninstall.  

How we got-er-done.

1. We downloaded and installed a trial version of Revo Uninstaller Pro.  
  2. In revo, we chose "Forced Uninstall."  
  3. When asked for the program name, we typed "HP Dr" at which point the program found, and popped up the HPDE program in the selection box. 
  4. Select HPDE and select "advanced" in the search options.  
  5. Tell it to proceed. 
  6. The regular HPDE uninstall runs, and like always fails telling us to disable it in HPCS.  We hit ok. 
  7. Now, back in Revo, hit SCAN and revo scans the registry and hard disk for "leftovers" of HPDE.  It finds a lot of them, since at no time was any part of the program uninstalled. 
  8. Revo displays the results of scanning the registry.  Select all, and press DELETE. 
  9. Revo displays the results of scanning for files related to HPDE. Select all and press DELETE.
  10. Revo tells you that you will need to re-boot.  Say yes, and re-boot. 

At this point, the computer should boot normally, and you can log in, and there are no traces of HPDE on the system any more. 

Now, run the regular uninstall for HP Client security.  It will run normally.  (I used Revo to uninstall it anyway in order to make sure it didn't leave anything behind.)

Reboot again.

Now HP CS is gone.  

Go to settings, update and tell it to download and install updates.  The Win10 anniversary rollup edition should install no problem.  -- Mine did.  

-- at this point, you're done. 

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation