Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 10 (462 Views)

Uninstall quick launch buttons in win XP

Product Name: Pavillion dv7
Operating System: Windows XP

Hello.

I have a Pavillion dv7 2150es, which I downgraded to Win XP about two years ago (it came with Vista).

So far I had never had any problems, but about a month ago, the sound controls turned crazy. The bar moves up and down by itself: sometimes it will get stuck at the upper end and other times it will slide down to minimum. Other times it turns mute also.

At first I thought it was because of the IDT drivers, but updating them did nothing. I formatted the computer, uninstalled and reinstalled the sound controls, and nothing. Then I found out that this was a common problem for many users and that it had something to do with the touch sound bar under the screen. The proposed solution was disabling HP Quick Launch Buttons, so I followed the instructions found in this forum.

I installed the Quick Launch Buttons driver (which I hadn't in my computer for some reason, despite the fact that the touch sound bar worked fine until now). Then went to msconfig, and under the Start up tab, I disabled qlbctrl.exe. This seems to have worked for other persons but it did nothing for me. Maybe because the other users had Windows 7 or Vista, not XP.
The touch sound bar keeps working as if I hadn't disabled anything, and keeps doing its weird things with the sound controls.

How can I get completely rid of this feature, or fix it?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 10 (432 Views)

Re: Uninstall quick launch buttons in win XP

Hi @Ire17387 

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you are having trouble with the Quick Launch Buttons on your notebook in xp.

Have you tried to remove it using add/remove programs from within the Control Panel?

1. On the Start menu, click Control Panel, and then, under Programs
  2. Click Add or Remove Programs.
  3. When you find the program HP Quick Launch Buttons, click it, and then :
  4. Click the Remove or Change/Remove tab (to the right of the program).
  5. Follow the prompts. A progress bar shows you how long it will take to remove HP Quick Launch Buttons.

Let me know if that helps.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Retired
Message 3 of 10 (426 Views)

@Ire17387 ,

Hello and thank you for posting on the HP support forum.  Here we have a bit of an issue when dealing with the drivers to resolve your quick launch problem.  The notebook came with Windows Vista and if there are only drivers for Vista and Windows 7, then that is all that is supported.

What you would have to do is so a system restore back to before this started happening with windows xp.  If that fails to stop the issue then off to Vista or Windows 7 so that you can find drivers that are supported.

I hope this helps. 

Thank you again for posting and have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
Message 4 of 10 (417 Views)

I tried uninstalling Quick Launch Buttons in the Control Panel already, but it does nothing. Same goes for system restoration. I'm not sure this is related with Win XP's drivers at all, since I've been using it for two years and never had problems until now; also it seems that Vista and 7 users have the same problem.
My best guess is that it's a hardware issue and the touch sound bar is broken. But I'd prefer to disable it through software, rather than having to disconnect it physically or something similar.

Retired
Message 5 of 10 (400 Views)

@Ire17387 ,

Hello and thank you for posting back.  Did you do this in safe mode?  That can make a huge difference.

Let me know how thing go.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
Message 6 of 10 (397 Views)

Could you elaborate a bit more about what I should do under safe mode and how to do it, please?
When I disabled the qlbctrl.exe in msconfig, the computer would start in "selective start mode" (I'm not sure this is the correct translation, in Spanish it says "Inicio selectivo"). Is this the same?

What puzzles me is why the touch bar has been functioning all this time, even before I installed the Quick Launch buttons drivers or knew about them. And why it keeps functioning after disabling the drivers (I mean, functioning in an erratic way, but it reacts to touch nonetheless).

Retired
Message 7 of 10 (388 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Ire17387 ,

Hello and thank you so much for posting back. Here is a link to help you with booting into safe mode.

The removal is the same however in safe mode all the other background drivers will be off and any background software will not be loaded.

Windows XP Safe Mode

Uninstalling the Product Software in Windows XP

You will have a few choices and the one you want is Safe Mode by itself no networking.

Once in safe mode you can go into the msconfig and shut down processes.  Startup software, remove software and drivers without other processes getting in the way.

Let me know how this worked out for you.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
Associate Dean
Message 8 of 10 (382 Views)

Ok I will put my .02 here. Windows 7 quick launch will not work in XP regardless of what you may think. You need to go back to Windows 7 if you want proper driver/software operations. Windows 7 is a hybrid of XP/Vista together and going to XP will not let you use Windows 7 drivers on XP that will not work or install correctly.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
Honor Student
Message 9 of 10 (368 Views)

@D5GR

I booted the computer in safe mode but can't tell if it solved the problem or not, because the sound controls disappeared and I couldn't activate them while in safe mode. However, the wi-fi button turned blue when I touched it, so I guess the touch bar was still working even under safe mode.

Associate Dean
Message 10 of 10 (363 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ire17387 wrote:

@D5GR

I booted the computer in safe mode but can't tell if it solved the problem or not, because the sound controls disappeared and I couldn't activate them while in safe mode. However, the wi-fi button turned blue when I touched it, so I guess the touch bar was still working even under safe mode.

Put this way again going to a unsupported O/S isn't going to get you support til you go back to the support O/S. If you want help you need to use the supported O/S. If you want a XP O/S laptop you need to find a older HP laptop that supports the XP O/S and then you can get the right help. Doing a XP on a Windows 7 machine is "DIY" and you assume all the risk and searching for the drivers/software to run it.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation