cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
34 21 0 4
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Uninstalling HP Support Assistant

Here's how to uninstall the HP Support Assistant package. I finally decided that since it never has pointed me towards any significant software and driver updates for my system, it just isn't worth having. Notebook is a dv8408us running Vista 32. Printer is a LaserJet 3050. There is no uninstall provision provided in the Windows Add/Remove programs or in the start menu listing. Go to the Microsoft Fix It tool  http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall/  run the tool and choose to apply the fixes manually. You'll see the HP Support Assistant package listed, then you can choose to remove it. Restart your computer, then when you open Windows Help for the first time, it will update itself. I've also uninstalled the HP update utility, as it only has updated itself. In the 3+ years it's been on my system, it has never updated any of my printer or scanning drivers, nor any on the notebook.

5 REPLIES 5
kevinhill3000 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Firstly, DO NOT use the Windows uninstaller found in control panel, Programs and Features....it does not uninstall the whole program and you will not be able to install a new version, because it thinks one is already there.  Instead, download and save, not run, HP's program SP64126.exe   Then click on the download.  It will open up several files.  Look at the last one:it is called UninstallHPSA.exe.  This one will uninstall the Support assistant.  When that is done, then look for the file called setup.exe.  Click on this one.  It will give you a fresh install and willgive you back the new and improved Support Assistant.  This was the only thing that worked for me

0 Kudos
jim79705 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I click on the new installer the only boxes that come up are the installshild  wizard stuff. It says it is allready installed and ask if I want to overwrite this file and I said yes and nothing happens. I have windows 8.1. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
hvaughan3 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Once you have downloaded the 'spxxx.exe' file, you must also download and install 7-zip (which will allow you to extract more files from the 'spxxx.exe' file) from the link below:

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html (choose either the 32-bit .msi Download link or the 64-bit .msi Download link)

Once you have downloaded and installed 7-zip, you should be able to right click on the 'spxxx.exe' file -> then mouse-over "7-zip" -> then click "Extract Here".

Once that is done, you will see a new folder and, within that folder, you will see the 'UninstallHPSA.exe' file which you should run as an administrator.

Note that when running the 'UninstallHPSA.exe' file, you may not see any progress or windows appear for a while. Just wait 10 min. at least for any windows or progress bars to appear.

0 Kudos
jemrunner Tutor
Tutor
3 3 0 4
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DocumentRunr wrote:

Here's how to uninstall the HP Support Assistant package. I finally decided that since it never has pointed me towards any significant software and driver updates for my system, it just isn't worth having. Notebook is a dv8408us running Vista 32. Printer is a LaserJet 3050. There is no uninstall provision provided in the Windows Add/Remove programs or in the start menu listing. Go to the Microsoft Fix It tool  http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall/  run the tool and choose to apply the fixes manually. You'll see the HP Support Assistant package listed, then you can choose to remove it. Restart your computer, then when you open Windows Help for the first time, it will update itself. I've also uninstalled the HP update utility, as it only has updated itself. In the 3+ years it's been on my system, it has never updated any of my printer or scanning drivers, nor any on the notebook.

Thanks! This helped me get rid of it too.

0 Kudos
Stopsellingme Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"Instead, download and save, not run, HP's program SP64126.exe "

Where can I find this?  

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation