cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Update to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1, laptop stuck on HP startup screen.

HP Recommended
HP Envy dv7 17.3"
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Update to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1, laptop stuck on HP startup screen. Multiple hard-resets to no different outcome. Ran diagonostics through startup menu, all passed. Ran drive recovery, went to bed, woke up to fully functioning laptop, running Windows 8.1 again. How can I go about upgrading to Win 10 and have the laptop run correctly? As most of you know Win 8 is a travesty, especially when using a non-touch laptop. Any advice would be welcome! Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
25,127 25,060 2,296 5,443
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

billreines1

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I use Win8.1 every day -- and find it to be anything BUT a travesty -- but that is because I have a Start Menu and use it in desktop mode.  If you don't have a touchscreen, then using Win10, is going to be no different than using Win8.1 with a Start Menu -- other than MS moving a bunch of stuff around to make it harder to find.

I'm part of a small but growing enthusiast community that insists on using Win8 in "Win7 mode" -- meaning that we use the Desktop exclusively and have installed third-party software to return the look and feel of Win7 to our Win8 systems.

A leader in this area is Stardock. They offer Start8 (returns the Start menu with direct booting to the Desktop), WindowBlinds 8 (which returns Aero-like transparency to the desktop look and feel) and ModernMix (which allows you to run Metro apps in actual Windows).

If you don't want to purchase the Stardock apps, then other start menu alternative include:

1)  Classic Shell -- get here:  http://www.classicshell.net/

2)  Start 8 -- get here:  https://start8.en.softonic.com/

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello there, and thank you for your reply! As someone who used win 8 at work until the 10 Upgrade came out and our IT department finally updated us in June, I personally HATE the 8.1 platform. I do not work in IT and do not know much about anything other than my own personal experiences at work and at home with win 8.1, and have never heard of third party software to give me a more classic feel. I will look into it, though at this point am more frustrated at the fact that I guarantee if any other person on the planet upgraded my dv7 to win 10, it would have worked fine, but since I am the one who clicked the "continue" button, the universe once again defecated all over the task I was trying to accomplish lol.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello there, and thank you for your reply! As someone who used win 8 at work until the 10 Upgrade came out and our IT department finally updated us in June, I personally HATE the 8.1 platform. I do not work in IT and do not know much about anything other than my own personal experiences at work and at home with win 8.1, and have never heard of third party software to give me a more classic feel. I will look into it, though at this point am more frustrated at the fact that I guarantee if any other person on the planet upgraded my dv7 to win 10, it would have worked fine, but since I am the one who clicked the "continue" button, the universe once again defecated all over the task I was trying to accomplish lol.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
25,127 25,060 2,296 5,443
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When the Win10 Upgrade first came out, the Win7 and Win10 community forums were DELUGED with folks whose PCs had been trashed by the Upgrade -- and mine was one of them!

Over the remaining few months, MS worked on improving their Appraisal tool so that, in many more cases, when the tool found serious conflicts with the Upgrade, it did not charge ahead (and trash the PC), but instead, put up a warning about what it found.  That dramatically reduced the flood of folks seeking to repair the PC's  "broken" from the Win10 Upgrade.

But ... the problems continue, to this day.

I DO understand you still want to upgrade to Win10, and I'm willing to provide help on that -- but BEFORE we jump into that, you need to consider using a third-party tool to do an image backup of your PC so that, if the Upgrade goes badly again, you will have something to restore your PC from.

I personally prefer to use third-party Recovery solutions as they tend to be both more flexible and more reliable than any built-in solutions.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive, USB stick, or DVDs
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive, USB or DVDs stick in only a few minutes.

OK -- now on to Upgrading to Win10 ...

The Anniversary Update (AU) is a whole NEW version of Win10. The previous was 10586; this is 14393 -- and the community Win10 forums are awash with folks whose machines, which had previously been running Win10 without problems, SUDDENLY developed problems either trying to install this Update, or after installing this Update.

My desktop has been running Win10 without problems since the earliest days of the Insider Preview over a year ago and it's sailed through Update after Update without problems. So, you can imagine my surprise when the AU trashed my PC -- to the degree that I restored it from an image backup.

I, too, tried the Upgrade using Windows Update, and like with the original Upgrade, it has proven to be the least reliable way to do it. So, I used a different way -- that worked!

Regarding applying the AU, what worked for me, and many others as well, is the following:
1) Use this MS link to download and create Win10 install media: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10
2) Insert that media in your PC while Win10 is running -- do NOT boot from it!
3) Open the drive containing the media, right-click on setup.exe and run it

This will start the Update -- which can take 45 minutes or more.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation