Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
butchiepoo Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Upgrade HP Pavilion Notebook - RAM and OS

Pavilion dv7-1020us
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

I want to upgrade the RAM from 4 to 8GB (16 if possible) and upgrade the OS to one with a longer support life - I'm thinking Windows 7 or 8.1. Is it best to do the upgrades serially and which should I do first? What RAM should I buy i.e. ordering info? Which OS do you recommend and where is the best place to buy it and the preferred media. Thanks to those forum members in advance for your advice.

butchiepoo

1 REPLY
Provost Provost
Provost
70640 8495 18263
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post

Upgrade HP Pavilion Notebook - RAM and OS

Hi,

Please use the following manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01918142.pdf

1. RAM: page 2 gives you RAM specs and max RAM supported. Page 67 gives you part number, you can use part number to order from HP or online stores. Please note: this is an old machine and RAM could be a bit hard to find now.
  2. For OS: Windows 7 drivers are available on itshomepage:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-dv7-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/374...

You are much better to upgrade to Windows 7 than others because HP supports it. For OS, you can buy from a computer shop or order from Microsoft.

Please note again, this machine is 8 years old. Please do not waiste more money on it.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation