Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jay1066 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Usb battery bank for charging when away travelling with no mains available. X2 10"

10-n155sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am going to use my X2 10 (10-n155sa) to travel to Africa, and while there I will be unable to have access to electricity for several days at a time to be able to charge the laptop. I need a compatable battery Usb battery pack that will allow charging of the X2 10 while on the move. I understand Hp have locked out charging from normal third party usb c battery banks with drm? (the few off the shelf third party usb c battery banks I have tried do not work, including converting usb 2 to usb c), so I am asking them what solution they have available to the problem they have created? Do they have their own Hp branded usb battery powered solution available for purchase? It is imperative that this laptop is charged while a dedicated a/c source is not available as the laptop will be crucial to site functions within the field.  A laptop with a flat battery and no way to charge it is a useless paperweight. I am sure I am not the only one in a similarly presented situation, with no current way to charge from a usb power bank, even if just for generic traveling without access to ac for several days.

Or does anyone know of a known third party combination that allows charging of a 10-n155sa via an external usb c battery bank. It does not matter if it takes several hours to charge and only charges when it is off, as long as there is a workable solution. Thank you for any responses to this problem...

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Provost Provost
Provost
46179 40441 4376 11210
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Usb battery bank for charging when away travelling with no mains available. X2 10"

I understand Hp have locked out charging from normal third party usb c battery banks with drm? (the few off the shelf third party usb c battery banks I have tried do not work, including converting usb 2 to usb c)

Where did you read that information? Nevermind.

I found a good article.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3017182/hardware/usb-c-charging-universal-or-bust-we-plug-in-every-de...

I have a product loan Spectre 13 ultrabook and I just tried what you stated. I had no idea that had been done.

I will have to look into this.

I will ask HP about this in the Inner Circle.

I can tell you that at the moment you are put of luck.

If you really want to say thanks, click on the Thumbs up icon .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

jay1066 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. Any further information you could find out about how to solve this problem  or a work around would be most appreciated. It seems crazy to me how I am unable to even slow charge the laptop at 5v with the laptop off using a third party usb c charger of any description either mains powered or battery powered, all thanks to drm. Even an overnight 8 hour charge would be acceptable, but a total drm lockout? That's the sort of thing Apple tend to do, and exactly the reason I left them behind many years ago.  

Fingers crossed your research comes up with some work around...

0 Kudos
jay1066 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't suppose there is any news from the inner circle? :-) really do not want to have to sell the Hp and change brands as this laptop ticks all the checkboxes for the things I need. I even tried yet another charger, this time an in car charger, supposed to be designed for Hp charging via usb c and it even stated the 10-n155sa on the list of laptops it would work with, but sadly no good. Mains charging still works perfectly though! If I keep this up I will have the value of the laptop in redundant chargers!

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
46179 40441 4376 11210
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I expect this has been a discussion amongst product development engineers for a while, as it would be a nice marketing bullet and feature for high-end ultrabooks.  

I haven't heard anything of substance on the subject from HP to date.  

What is the product name and  product number of the HP automotive charger?

Considering the low dollar value of the notebook I would try not to purchase too many accessories for it. 

If you really want to say thanks, click on the Thumbs up icon .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
jay1066 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As much as I regret it, I have been forced to sell the laptop as it does not do what I think it should be able to do as a basic function that any other laptops do with ease. I ended up purchasing another brand. Every single charger and battery power bank I have purchased that did not work with the x2 when plugged into the other brand that also uses the usb c port to charge works perfectly. As I say, it is such a shame Hp decided to lock the charging of their usb c with drm. I do prefer the Hp x2 over the other brand, but needs must etc.... and I am afraid I will not purchase another Hp/Compaq device in the future that uses the usb c port to charge it, lesson learnt! :-/

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation