cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
RachelCM Tutor
Tutor
7 6 0 2
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Using fingerprint reader to log in to Windows 10.

Elitebook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently picked up this laptop 2nd hand for use at home. I was happy to find it has a built in fingerprint reader which will keep my kids out of my account. This is recognised by Windows 10 on Device Manager as a Biometric Device / Validity Sensor. However I have no options to activate Windows Hello on my account and have found nothing on Windows Support over with Microsoft to answer my problem. Is the supplied fingerprint reader going to get an updated driver that gets Windows 10 to recognise it as supported by Windows Hello? Should it already be working? Do I need any additional software as the laptop was bought only with it's OEM Windows 7 Pro OS installed and nothing else. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Rachel

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher
72 66 4 9
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Teacher
Teacher
72 66 4 9
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Found this thread, that might have the solution for you, please see:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Hp-Simple-Pass-on-Windows-10-So...

0 Kudos
RachelCM Tutor
Tutor
7 6 0 2
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I've tried the second solution and I just can't update my driver to the one listed. I have a WFS471 and the solution works for a WFS 495 (a WFS491 works with the same driver). I'm hoping my scanner isn't going to be just a bit too old to be supported but until digitally signed drivers for windows 10 are released for my fingerprint scanner it is looking like I won't be able to trick my system into installing the driver that works with windows 10 as tat driver appears incompatible with my device 😞 Thanks for your efforts there but I'm still trying your first option. Unsure whether that'll activate my fingerprint scanner for windows hello but at this stage I will be happy to get it working under anythng lol.

Thanks

Rachel

0 Kudos
RachelCM Tutor
Tutor
7 6 0 2
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@jorgemartins wrote:

Install HP Client Security:

ftp://15.240.238.55/pub/softpaq/sp63501-64000/sp63​793.exe

This works and is usable but still doesn't allow the use of Windows Hello which still flat refuses to see my fingerprint scanner and doesn't show up in the sign in options of my user settings. Guessing that is due to being unable to find a windows 10 signed driver for a WFS471. It's working so many thanks 🙂

Regards

Rachel

0 Kudos
benjaminw Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

The link to this exe doesn't work anymore, any chance there's a fresh link?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation