Note on archived topics.
07-10-2016 08:35 AM
I upgraded to Win10 last year. The fingerprint reader has been working fine since then. Recently it stopped. Device Manager says the device is working properly. SimplePass doesn'r report an issue. I'm still prompted for my fingerprint when logging into web sites. But the reader doesn't appear to be on. The light doesn't flash and my fingerprint isn't read.
Device Manager lists the driver as:
My SimplePass is:
07-10-2016 01:22 PM
During the original introduction of Windows 10 (past months), it was still possible to run Series 6 HP SimplePass. I do not know whether this older version of the SimplePass program still runs properly in the latest Windows 10 Operating System.
Series 6 HP SimplePass describes any version of HP SimplePass starting with 6.x
A bit of background:
- Series 6 HP SimplePass > written by AuthenTec (same company wrote Series 5.x HP SimplePass)
- Series 6 HP SimplePass is not any longer updated or maintained, the AuthenTec company having sold themselves to Apple some time ago.
- The last version of Series 6 HP SimplePass is V22.214.171.1246 -- this version was rated for Windows 7; the program is so robust, the code so well written, the software continued to work all the way into (at least the early days of) Windows 10
If Series 6 HP SimplePass no longer works, it might be because of the following:
- You need to update your Validity Driver
- Windows Updates have finally killed the code
- Browsers no longer allow / support Series 6 HP SimplePass
In particular, Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer may no longer support the older SimplePass program. Edge (Windows 10) does not (reportedly) support any current biometric program -- we hope that will change.
What to do?
Try enabling the setup again in Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options
Remember that the PIN number is mandatory
- Create a Restore Point
Stop all programs: Browsers, games, Applications, etc.
Control Panel > icon view > System > System Protection >
Click (Highlight) your main disk (C) > Select Create a Restore Point
- Update your Validity Driver (although this is not likely help Series 6 HP SimplePass due to the other "might be" issues)
Released: Sep 7, 2012
IF you use Firefox, you might be able to trick the browser into allowing the older program to function as hoped. NOTE: This method has not been tested on Series 6 HP SimplePass -- it does work with Series 8 HP SimplePass in those cases that the workaround is still necessary at all.
Help, suggestions, and examples:
Read the first page: Dragon Document Guidelines
- Firefox and Series 8 HP SimplePass
- Enable (Series 8) HP SimplePass after Firefox is Updated > When necessary
If no joy, consider abandoning Series 6 HP SimplePass and installing the latest version of Series 8 HP SimplePass. Series 8 HP SimplePass is supported on Windows 10 and on browsers, except, at writing, the still very young Edge browser.
Understand that you cannot use your Series 6 Export of your Web Cards. This means that any backup you have of your websites / passwords made while using Series 6 HP SimplePass is NOT compatible with Series 8 HP SimplePass. There is no conversion program. Why? Different companies wrote the programs - competitors, if you will.
No webcard conversion means that if you switch to Series 8 HP SimplePass, you must re-create your website / passwords from scratch.
Furthermore, there is no magic in the Series 8 HP SimplePass concerning websites that require two-page or three step logins: at writing, HP SimplePass does not support fancy logins. NOT an HP thing, the issue is a disparity between what the code (program) can do and what Web Designers decide to do.
You cannot have both Series 6 HP SimplePass and Series 8 HP SimplePass on the computer at the same time. You can Switch from one series to the other.
- Switch HP SimplePass Series (6 to 8 or 8 to 6)
When you see a Post that helps you,
Inspires you, provides fresh insight,
Or teaches you something new,
Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.
Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.