Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
3 3 0 2
Message 11 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Volume has a mind of it's own on Pavilion dv7

My dv7-1245dx laptop just started doing this today 😞

It was in sleep/suspend mode, with the lid closed, and I opened the lid to use it again.  It woke up, and now the volume turns itself up and down maniacally on its own 😞  Acts like someone's touching the volume bar... nothing seems to fix it.  I downloaded the latest Smartmenu software from HP, but nothing.

other info I've found online indicates this may be a connection issue w/the cable.  perhaps I'll look into that.  I managed to get the OSD to go away by killing the process, but the volume is still going up and down on its own.  Also it disables the tap to click on the mousepad, and the scroll area on the mousepad while this is going on.

Highly annoying....  I think I have 'til the end of the month on my warranty so if I can't figure this out soon I may have to send it in... but I'd rather not.  I hate having to send my computer in for service...

Highlighted
1 1 0 1
Message 12 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, I have a ‘work-around’ that I was forced to utilize.  I have an HP Pavilion dv7-1451nr.  I bought it last September and have had problems with it basically since day one (ex. my quick launch buttons stopped working in the first week).  I have restored my computer so many times that I had to repurchase some of my software because I exceeded the maximum number of installations!?!

Lately, I too have been experiencing the “sound adjusting on its own” issue.  I will mute my sound, but it will unmute on its own.  I will try to listen to a song, but the volume will slowly/erratically lower until it is at ‘0’.

I took the following steps:

1. Downloaded and installed the latest driver from HP…no change

2. Reset the BIOS defaults… no change

3. Downloaded and installed the latest firmware update… no change

4. Blew away my sound devices in Device Manager, restarted and reinstalled… no change

5. Called HP, spent an hour or more on the phone while the technical support agent took control of my computer…and completed the same steps that I had already taken…no change

6. I kept mentioning that I thought the issue might be microphone related, but wasn’t sure he cared as he said ‘yes sir’ but kept on with the same redundant troubleshooting steps…no change
7. Was told to try it and see if it was better…no change

8. Told him that as we were talking, the volume was lowering on its own

9. He told me that we would probably have to restore the machine and that either he would call back tomorrow or I could call them with my case number.

So…after all of that and after being ignored with my Microphone comments, I right-clicked the speaker icon, went to recording devices, and disabled my 3 recording device options (external mic, internal mic, and stereo mix).  Voila, that seems to have fixed the erratic volume changing on its own issue, but this is still just a work around since it is working at the expense of my internal microphone working.

Highlighted
Level 1
3 3 0 2
Message 13 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Interesting...

I haven't actually had the problem since that one time with my laptop.  It seems to have magically went away on its own by the next day.  Hopefully it will stay gone.  But if I have the problem again, I will try to disable the microphone sources as you mentioned and see if that helps.

I also found on the internet that it may be related to a bad connection on the cable that connects the buttons to the motherboard.  So I was going to try to remove the panel and re-seat the cable if the problem persisted, but as I mentioned... it went away on its own on mine, so I'm not about to disassemble my laptop unless I need to 😄

Thanks for your input!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 14 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've had this problem on my HP HDX Premium Series laptop off & on for the last year. Most problems came up when attempting watching itunes video podcasts.  I tried many if not all of the attempted solutions mentioned  previously. I finally went into device manager & disabled the sound (IDT) & rebooted. I left it like that for a few days then turned it back on via device manager. That was a few months ago & I haven't had a problem since. I'm holding my breath, but I think it is working. I do not use the sound buttons on the keyboard anymore though since that seemed to cause the problem sometimes. (I use the sound features available in the task bar). When I get braver I'll test it.  If anyone is still having problems give this easy & quick solution a go. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 15 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had the same thing happen to me. Then, as soon as I plugged in any headphone, I went from AMAZING sound to having the entire volume controls on my computer to MAX plus player to MAX and got a distorted sound. At first the only way to fix it i thought would be for a FULL and complete Restore of the computer, complete Reformat! After the second time, I started trying to find a new way to fix the problem, and found a great fix! Go into ur Device Manager, uninstall ur audio driver COMPLETELY, then once that is done, restart your computer and it will reinstall the Drivers because it will Automatically recognize the software, once it reinstalls, it should work COMPLETELY like new by now!

Hope that this is helpful and if it is let me know. Thanks for listening! Hope it helps! :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

Follow me on Twitter, @casey_holloway or FaceBook:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/casey.holloway1
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
5 3 0 2
Message 16 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED HELP TOO...HOW DO WE "LIVE CHAT"?????? DO YOU KNOW? I AM NEW TO THIS SITE....

THANK YOU 🙂

Highlighted
Level 3
11 11 2 9
Message 17 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please reinstall the quick touch driver once from the following link

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-62436-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

After that reboot the system and check, if the issue still remain the install the sound driver from the recovery manager, the steps are:::

To reinstall the original audio driver using HP Recovery Manager, follow the steps below.
  • Click Start , enter recovery into the search field, and then select Recovery Manager from the list when it becomes available.
  • Grant permission to continue, if prompted. The HP Recovery Manager opens.
  • On the Recovery Manager window, select Hardware Driver Reinstallation in the I need help immediately box.
  • Click Next , select the sound driver to reinstall, and then click Next .
  • Wait while HP Recovery Manager reinstalls the original audio driver, and then click Finish
  • The computer will restart. If it does not restart automatically, restart the computer. Test for sound after the computer restarts.
    You can also refer the following link:::
    Regards,

dip.
    2 2 0 0
    Message 18 of 27
    Flag Post
    HP Recommended

I bought my laptop just over a year ago.  The soft touch controls constantly crashed when I was running Windows Vista.  The same thing when I upgraded to Windows 7.  For months, the volume has "gone wild" as someone put it in this thread.  I tried un-installing the audio drivers and reinstalling them but to no avail.  Tonight, I took the advice of one poster and disabled the microphone recording devices.  The eratic volume is still random but not as bad as before.  I think I can live with this level of eratic behavior on the part of the volume control software.

0 Kudos
    Highlighted
    1 1 0 1
    Message 19 of 27
    Flag Post
    HP Recommended

Mine just started having a mind of its own too. I tried restarting my computer got a critical error and a blue screen and did a system restore. That solved the problem for about two hours. Fantastic thing is I'm a grad school student who has finals next week and plenty of things due, including some timed exams on my laptop and I have the stupid volume control covering a small portion of my screen as its constantly changing making it hard for me to get my work done. I just tried disabling all the sound options, hopefully that works. I just bought this laptop a year ago, things shouldnt be going wrong already. I'm thinking my next computer will be a Mac, my brother has one and he never has any problems with it. 

Highlighted
    1 1 0 1
    Message 20 of 27
    Flag Post
    HP Recommended

am having the same problem on my Pavilion Dv7-1243cl

I have uninstalled all the audio drivers and restarted my computer to no avail.

Also i have turned off all my recording devices please help me i need this fixed fast

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
    † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation