cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Buchanma
Level 2
10 9 1 2
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

WIFI drops out randomly

HP Recommended
HP pavillion notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

1 month old notebook, came with windows 10 preinstalled

WIFi connection has been a problem from the start, driver update enabled it to at laest start working but it has remained an issue - and is unusable

WIFI drops out randomly, all other devices in the house simultaneously have no issues

When wired the notebook is fine

Also when trying to load the HP update - Intel WAN driver - the update fails

the WIFI connection is though an intel AC3165

when the wifi is working health checks all come up ok, when it stops working none of the trouble shooting software can find the problem..they only suggest reboot the router ..but the router is not the issue as all other devices are fine

any help appreciated

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Buchanma
Author
Level 2
10 9 1 2
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Using HP RECOVERY MANAGER to reinstall (a presumably corrupt) WIFI driver seems to have fixed the problem, though the WAN driver update still fails to install

0 Kudos
Martish
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've been having exactly the same problem, few old lptop, same wifi adaptor! Contacte HP tech support quite a few times, they appear to be useless, keep doing exactly the same staff i've been doing myself, or sending me over to the trubleshooitng page. Could you tell if reinstalling driver through Recovery Manager helped in the long run? And which driver exactly did you reinstall, cause there's rather a big list? Would very much appreciate your help, as i'm starting to give up..

0 Kudos
Buchanma
Author
Level 2
10 9 1 2
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hi Martish sorry for the delay in reply

Wifi driver only reinstalled. In my case the name is Intel ac3165. In the network trouble shoot area it lists 3 one for Bluetooth 1 for Ethernet and the wifi is the 3rd. It has not do far solved it in the long term but seems better. The problem I had with updates not installing was due to not logged into Microsoft It of course does not tell u that it just says install failed !! Hope this helps
Buchanma
Author
Level 2
10 9 1 2
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I found a forum that suggested that Win 10/adaptor cannot cope with auto channel changes on the router.  I have just changed mine (BT) from auto select to 6 on the 2.4HZ and to channel 48 on the 5.5 channel...it seems to have fixed the problem - 30 mins so far so good

0 Kudos
Buchanma
Author
Level 2
10 9 1 2
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nope changing the router to fixed channels did not cure the problem - still drops sometimes 30 mins sometimes 3 mins.

I have also tried removing 2 updates said to be troublesome - KB3116900 and KB31196908 but that has not made any difference either

Ethernet connection remains 100%..it remains just the WIFI

0 Kudos
Buchanma
Author
Level 2
10 9 1 2
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Latest chapter in the saga....nothing further manually updated/changed  on the PC.   last auto update was today  (KB3154132). 

Surprisingly  PC has managed 2 x 2 hour wifi sessions  longest  in last 4 months ...without losing  wifi connection.    After first a reboot  got it working again. 

I have found when the wifi crashes best to power off using the power button - not the software switch off - as the PC stops in some kind of limbo state.

.I will update again in coming weeks

0 Kudos
Buchanma
Author
Level 2
10 9 1 2
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Never did solve the actual problem but assume it was a faulty wifi adaptor..  Have now installed a USB wifi adaptor (Netgear) and now have zero problems....effectively a work-around...With more knowledge could probably have pin-pointed the problem - but just wanted the PC to work !!.   Thnaks for various inputs alomng the journey !

BW to all Malcolm

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation