Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
PC99 Tutor
Tutor
11 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

WINDOWS 10 ANNIVERSARY UPDATE FAILURE

Pavilion dv6 - 3139tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a pavilion dv6-3139tx which was originally a Windows 7 64. It was updated to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period. Everything was working well. Then it automatically started upgrading to Windows 10 Anniversary edition and the computer stopped working. I managed to go into safe mode etc. to repair the computer without success. After following advice from HP forums and Windows forums, I made things worse as I couldn't enter safe mode or recovery mode or any other options to fix the problem. This is where I'm at now. I have made a Windows 10 ISO on both USB stick and also on disc and I also have copies of the original HP Windows 7 recovery discs purchased from HP. I managed to work out how to boot from both the USB and discs. These are the outcomes from trying to boot from Windows 10 ISO AND HP Recovery discs. I do not have any original bought Windows OS discs (Windows 7 or 10) only The Windows 10 ISO downloaded from a different computer and the HP Windows 7 Recovery discs.

When I tried the Windows 10 ISO, I got a blue Recovery screen stating to repair the computer with recovery discs with the error File: \Boot \BCD Error code 0xc0000098 and couldn't progress any further. I then decided to recover back to Windows 7 using the HP Recovery discs. I thought it was going to work after it started downloading files and brought up the Recovery window. I pressed to continue and after progressing an error window popped up stating: Fail to create E: \SDV. FLG. I then clicked on OK and the next error window stated: Fail to copy from D: \PRELOAD \BASE 11. WIM to C: \RM \IMAGE \BASE 11.WIM. I can't progress any further. Is there a possible fix for this or do I need to change my hard drive? There's nothing important to save on the computer so I'm not trying to save anything - only to get the laptop working again after Windows 10 basically destroyed it. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated or do I need to pay for the premium service? I would be more than happy to pay if I knew there was a solution.

4 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
13086 1230 2895
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post

PC99

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Everything you did SHOULD have worked -- booting from the Win10 media and booting from the HP Recovery media.

The one common fault in BOTH of these is the hard drive -- so I suspect that is failing.

I also have a DV6 laptop and the drive failed on me over a year ago, so I replaced it.

Please follow the directions in this link for testing your hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If your BIOS does not have those options, they try pressing F9 repeatedly while booting your PC and when the menu comes up, choose drive diagnostics.

If those confirms your drive has failed, then you need to replace it. Please report back if that is the case.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
PC99 Tutor
Tutor
11 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post

Thanks for replying. I think I have tried this but will try again tomorrow when I have more time and get back to you when I have all results. I feel changing the hard drive would be the only solution. I'll ask you about that tomorrow. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
PC99 Tutor
Tutor
11 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post

Hi

Yes, I did run through the diagnostic tests before but didn't understand the results. The START UP TEST failed, the MEMORY TEST passed, the HARD DISK 1 QUICK TEST showed (303) which I assume means a fail and the HARD DISK SMART passed. I've seen the video on how to replace the hard drive but I'll need to find the appropriate hard drive to replace the existing one. Also, I'm not sure once it's replaced how I install all the programs again. Is it as simple as putting in the recovery discs? Remembering this was originally a Windows 7 64 laptop which was upgraded to Windows 10. With a new empty hard drive do I have to recover using the HP discs ( or can I use the Windows 10 ISO I created?

0 Kudos
PC99 Tutor
Tutor
11 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post

Hi

Ran diagnostic tests with these results.

START UP TEST - FAIL

MEMORY TEST - PASS

HARD DISK 1 QUICK - (303) which I assume fail as it didn't continue to comprehensive test.

HARD DISK SMART - PASS

If I need a new hard drive, which one do I get and where from? The specs on my laptop shows it as being 1TB 5200 rpm.

I've seen instructions about replacing the hard drive but what do I do after I replace it? Remembering, this was a Win 7 64 laptop upgraded to Win 10. Do I use the HP recovery discs (Win 7) or can I use the Win 10 ISO I created? Will the Windows license still  exist or will I need a new one? Also, how to install the drivers again {my HP discs include driver recovery). I'm basically asking do I have to reinstall Win 7 or can I continue with Win 10? I'm a novice in understanding the process. I can understand how to replace the hard drive but how and in what order do I add the programs? Does HP sell hard drives?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation