Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP15-f272wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

I've already tried Microsoft but they keep telling me it's a "Windows" problem, however any time I look up information with this issue, it tells me to contact Microsoft support!?!

I have a refurbished HP 15 laptop that worked perfectly fine when I set it up for my (nearly blind) cousin to teach her on. At that time, I only put her name in as the registered owner, & sole user account. When she decided she might want a tablet instead, she asked me to buy the computer back from her, which I did & proceeded to set it up for my needs. This system has Windows 10, but I don't know if it was the original OS. I used her account to add my user name, made myself the administrator, then went back to her user account & made her a standard user as she had some things downloaded she wasn't ready to give up yet. So here we are with two accounts, & mine should be the administrator right? Couple of things got hinky... I used my Microsoft account that when I initially set up in my previous computer, I made half of the email in caps unintentionally. Never seemed to matter before. I set my user on THIS computer with all lower case. I usually make my name that appears when I sign in a phonetic spelling of my initials, i.e., Elle Bee Jae.  Had a brain fart & entered (example) Elle Jae. I was able to function as administrator during that brief initial access. To be clear... my previous computer (may it rest in peace), had my microsoft account entered as (example) neverwas_THEONE@live.com & my name upon sign in was Elle Bee Jae.  This computer has "neverwas_theone@live.com" & my name upon sign in is "Elle Jae". It didn't flag that my account was already in use or any other such warning. First time I let the computer go into sleep mode, began to sign in with neverwas_theone@live.com AND USED THE SAME PASSWORD I had on my previous computer. Then I get this crap message : User profile service failed the sign in.  ??!!??  Tried going back to my cousin's account, & it signed her in but not as an administrator. Signed her out, turned the computer off completely. Waited a bit to reboot. Again tried to sign in neverwas_theone@live.com - same result.  Signed in under my cousin's account as it is the ONLY way I can access Windows now. Signed into my email on live.com - Began attempting my normal downloads (CCleaner free by Piriform) -  when I got the administrator window to allow changes to this device & it has MY windows account neverwas_theone@live.com asking for my password. Put in the same password I used on my windows live account whether it was upper or lower case as they are the same. Error message: windows cannot find C:\Users\KERRI\Downloads\ccsetup529(1).exe  Make sure you typed the name correctly, & then try again.  KERRI is of course my cousin's name because I had to sign in under her account just to get into Windows.  I read other help sites that had other people posing this problem all over it. Of course there was a perfectly wonderful workaround where you change the name of the default file folder under users to say default.old but I can't make ANY CHANGES, DOWNLOADS, MOST UPDATES, DELETE PROGRAM, ADD NEW PROGRAM, or anything else that an administrator really needs access to, so I didn't get to change the folder name. Every day, I run into something else I really need to do, particularly with my anti-virus protection (I'm stuck with windows), my anti-malware (Malwarebytes PAID version) which I really don't feel safe without, or anything else that looks out of place just can't be altered or deleted! SOMEONE PLEASE tell me they know what I can do to fix this problem!  Keep in mind that I work from home, & can't take the chance of a complete shutdown because I have to update my listings on eBay daily!  SOS!If I missed any pertinent info you may need, let me know & I'll try to supply the info!

Any chance that I could set up the BIOS password - Administrator account, to over-ride the mess I've got, or will that complicate everything even more?

Using wireless connection with this laptop.

Thank you for your time! ~~  NmyDreamZ aka Jai

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Do Not setup a BIOS password- that will in No way help with the issue you are having.

"User profile service failed the sign in" - usually means your profile is corrupt. It can be repaired or deleted and a new logon created-though it will be more diificult after you changed the other user to standard user.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947215/you-receive-a-the-user-profile-service-failed-the-lo...

In my opionion, you probably will be better off doing a System Recovery to restore the laptop back to factory setup and start over.

http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=HPSystemRecovery.net&as=true&SFS=sdoc&section=ccweb&language...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.