cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Bob1231 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wake from Sleep in Battery Mode

Pavilion x2 12 b020nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When running on battery this computer rarely wakes from sleep.  I noticed that if I try to wake from manually entering sleep within about 10 seconds it will come back on rare occasion, typically only once after a reboot.  Any longer than 10 seconds and it won't happen.  If the charger is connected, the device is 10x more likely to return from sleep after a few seconds.  Additionally, the manual says you can wake from sleep by opening the lid, pressing the power key, pressing a keyboard key, or tapping the touch pad.  My HP only wakes from the power bottun when on battery, and the power button and sometimes when opening the lid when connected to the charger.  The keyboard and touchpad have no effect. 

I've updated all the drivers/bios from the support assistant.  While updating drivers in attempt to fix this issue, the display driver said a power state could not be changed.  I verified Windows 10 has completed all updates.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the Display driver.  No errors the second time.  I went to the device manager and made sure the keyboard power management setting was set to wake from sleep.  I did mess with the power settings a bit, I reset them to default levels of the HP recommended settings.  Nothing seems to help the situation.

I've followed the steps on this site: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03383935

Any recommendations?  It would be nice to buy a computer and have it work correctly out of the box.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Retired
Retired
1,111 1,006 54 138
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Bob1231,

Thank you for seeking assistance on the HP Forums!

I have read your post and understand that your HP Pavilion x2 - 12-b020nr is not waking from sleep properly. I would like to help you resolve this issue.

I know you have completed some troubleshooting and followed the steps in the document, but please begin with a hard reset. After that, try restoring the BIOS using the external media method. Once that is complete test for hardware failures using the component tests.

Have you turned your security software completely off?

Do you have any devices plugged into the USB ports?

I look forward to your reply!

If this information is helpful, click the thumbs up.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Bob1231 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I plan on reverting back to an older BIOS over the weekend.  I found three older BIOS versions on the HP Software and Driver download page, F04, F05, and F06.  Any suggestions on which one to choose?

I tried hard reseting.  The problem is determining when the system is off.  If the system and display are on, I can press and hold the power button for 5 seconds before the light on the capslock key flashes indicating the system is on again, and when I release the power button it boots.  When the system is in standby and I give up trying to get the system to wake up, it can take up to 10 seconds of holding down the power button for the system to start.

There are no devices plugged into the USB ports,and I tried deactivating the Firewall and real-time virus scanner, with no impact to the waking the device.

Another observation that may help diagnose the problem is the indicator light on the right side of the device.  When powered by the battery and I put it the device is Standby mode thatindicator light will flash no matter how much battery is left.  The manual says it should only flash when the battery is low.  When I tap the power button in a failed attempt to wake the computer, that light turns off.  That at least tells me that the device recognizes that I hit the power button, it just isn't reacting appropriately.
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
1,111 1,006 54 138
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Bob1231,

Thank you for the reply!

I would start with the most recent one and work your way back if that's what you plan on doing. 

Are symptoms the same when the notebook is plugged in vs. on battery?

See if testing the battery will help:

HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 10)

Did you end trying to test any of the hardware components?

I will await your reply!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation