Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Baffled5 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Warranty denied

HP15-103
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My laptop warranty is valid until September 9 2106. Still two months to go.    Recovery failed because the HD is dying.  HP will fix the issue but still charge me  some $90.  What type of warranty is that?  Anybody out there who experienced the same misfortune?

3 REPLIES
Dean Dean
Dean
7684 613 2709
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Warranty denied

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome!

I am sorry for this issue you have. Don't you worry - if everything is really OK and if your warranty is not expired and if your HDD has problem, I am sure this will be sorted easily.

There are certain things you need to provide more details on:

• You have written your warranty expires in 2106 but I supposed this was a typo and you mean September 9th - 2016 ? Please, confirm.
  • You can check the expiration of your warranty here >> http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/wc/public/home
    Please, do so and let me know what it shows.
  • Do you keep some documents for proof or purchase ? What kind?
  • Where you purchased your PC from? Online or from some retailer offline ? When ?

• Why do you think your HDD is dying ? Did you test it ?  Could you please test it now using HP BIOS/UEFI hardware diagnostics - explained >here< . Please, perform System test >> QUICK test.  Please, also perform Component test >> Hard disk drive.
    Provide back the results from both? Do they pass or fail ? If yes - what is the failure code ?

Looking forward to your reply.

**** It would be great if you use the THUMB-UP+ button below for encouragement, likes and kudos
**** Please, hit the button to mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helps **** Thanks !

I am not employed by HP Inc. I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** I work in IT and cyber security
0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
67 4 7
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Warranty denied

Baffled5 wrote:

My laptop warranty is valid until September 9 2106. Still two months to go.    Recovery failed because the HD is dying.  HP will fix the issue but still charge me  some $90.  What type of warranty is that?  Anybody out there who experienced the same misfortune?

Use this link to verify your warranty.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/checkwarranty

0 Kudos
Baffled5 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Warranty denied

Thank you for your help and concern.  I checked my laptop warranty status before contacting HP.  It was valid and HP knew it too.  The techie I talked to acknowledged that my laptop was still under warranty however he told me there would be a $90 charge for the repair and was ready to take my credit card number.  I responded I wanted to think about it.  The following day I filed a complaint with the Palo Alto Better Business Bureau. And what do you know… I started to be bombarded with HP e-mails telling me they’d be more than happy to fix my computer at no charge. I was even provided with an e-mail address to escalate my claim if I was not satisfied.

Why did it take such a drastic action to get HP back to its senses?  I don’t know. However I cannot but think about all the HP customers who had a valid warranty and were tricked into paying for a repair.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation