Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Each time my system attempts to update the BIOS (as downloaded and installd by HP Support Assistant) it says "BIOS update failed" and restarts my laptop.

What do I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HI Lankoande:

Thank you for your query.   I am pleased to be able to assist you!

I understand you tried to update the bios and you are now getting a black screen. I am sending you some documentation on "Restoring the BIOS"  click here and Updating the BIOS  click here. I am also including  "Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers"  click here.  Here is a document on "Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot"  click here.   If you go back into the bios, do you see an option to  roll back, if click on it.   I hope this has helped.

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi:

What I would do if I were you is to change the setting on the HP Support Assistant to notify you when there are updates and let you choose what updates to install and when to install them.

A BIOS update gone wrong can totally render your PC useless and irrepairable unless the entire motherboard is replaced.

A BIOS update should be run under the most guarded situation. Unsually in Windows Safe Mode where a minimum of background processes are running.

The most dangerous program you can have running during a BIOS update is your antivirus program as it may think a virus is attacking your BIOS and will attempt to stop it from installing.

If the BIOS flash is interrupted, you can kiss your notebook good-bye.

Lastly, never update the BIOS until you go to your notebook's support and driver page and read the release notes for the BIOS to see if it fixes a problem you are having with your notebook or provides an enhancement or update you would like (such as support for a faster processor you want to install).

Otherwise there is no need to ever flash your BIOS. This is definitely one situation where the old saying holds true:  "If it's not broke, don't fix it."

You're lucky the BIOS update only reported failed and not worse.

I don't know why HP has the default setting on that program to download and install updates automatically.

You are not the first person this has happened to, and others have had worse outcomes.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks, I know from experience of dodgy BIOS updates and their effect!

What I don't know is how to facilitate this awful laptop (4 weeks old, 200+ crashes, 100% unreliability) to update the BIOS. The only reason I'm trying to update the BIOS is because the system simply will not function with the current one, I believe it's clashing somehow with the ATI Radeon 6490M video driver, but HP refuse to help me find a new driver for that, their support being as useful as a paper bag in a storm.

I've completed their pointless 16349942-atikmpag.sys Survey and had no response. I've mailed Support and had no response. Now I'm here begging for help from anyone who might have found a solution to what is clearly a known fault.

I'd hoped the Support Assistant finding the new BIOS (2nd flash since purchase) would be a fix, and it might be, but not if it continues to fail to update.

Can you think of a reason why the BIOS update would fail? (no anti-virus installed yet, BIOS fails to update in the BIOS at statup, long before any Windows activity)

Thanks

Dan

HP Recommended

Hi, Dan:

I don't know why it is failing. Are you sure you have (or are being delivered) the right version from your notebook's support and driver page?

Did you try to run the flash in windows safe mode?

I am not up on switchable graphics, but I read nothing but ill of them.  Can't update the drivers, can't switch to performance mode...etc.

I think they should go back to you either buy a notebook with performance graphics, or you buy one with integrated graphics. This trying to combine the best of both worlds, does not seem to be working.

Paul

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul,

I'll try running in Safe Mode before BIOS flash.

I had no knowledge of switchable graphics until today, when I read in the forum of someone having difficulty. I now suspect it might be another part of my problem - whenever the system tries to be "dynamic" and switch to the gfx card, I get the Blue Screen of Death.

If I can find out how to switch off the Dynamic mode and simply leave the system in the battery-life-munching Fixed mode (using the gfx card) I'll do that and pray it works.

At this rate I'll lose my job as this laptop now has me 3 weeks behind!!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I dug up some info that may be of help for you.

It's all Greek to me, since I don't (and gladly) have a notebook with switchable graphics.

Overview of Switchable Graphics or Dual GPUs

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docnam​e=c02731962

Switchable Graphics on Notebooks Configured with Intel and ATI GPUs

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docnam​e=c03048374

Switchable Graphics on Notebooks Configured with Dual AMD GPUs

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docnam​e=c03048333

Paul

HP Recommended

You Sir, are now my god!

Well, maybe that's a tad excessive, but nonetheless you've helped, making you 100% of the assistance I've been offered. 

What I found in your links might not repair my problem but it gives me hope, that most precious of commodities for a man in my now dire situation.

As the msdt (Microsoft Support Diagnostic Tool) seems to have crashed due an excess of reports to send, I can only hope the new drivers/controls I'm downloading from HP (all 275MB of them!) will help.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

I've had the same problem.
I had a hp bios update which it crashed on and would not respond to anything so I had to take the battery out. Now lights come on but blank screen. Please help?
{Personal Information Removed}

HP Recommended

Hello charliesmobiles,

I see that you are having start up problems with your HP computer. I would like to help with this issue but I need some information.

Can you provide the model and product number of the computer? Here is a link that shows how to find that information.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.