cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
VinceWT
Level 1
7 3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What should i be concerned about when Replacing HDD with SSD?

Product number: G0T59AV
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello folks, i have a problem and maybe a solution (haven't done it yet) for it but I would like to hear your opinion and advice.

I have a custom-built HP ENVY Notebook - 15t-k100 CTO (ENERGY STAR) (product number: G0T59AV) with the following hardwares:

- Intel Core i7-4510U 2-Core 2.0GHZ

- Nvidia GeForce GTX 850M 4GB

- 8GB RAM DDR3

- My motherboard can support SATA3 6GB/s (checked with Sisoftware Sandra)

- No touchscreen, pre-installed Windows 8.1 (64 bit) and have an optical drive installed.

- 1TB of about to die (IMO) HDD

So here is the situation:

I used this computer for nearly two years (12/2014 to now). It's out of warranty, of course. Have been happy with it for one year and a half until Windows 10 free upgrade deadline was approaching fast. Not wanting to be left behind so I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10. And then my darkest days had come. Whenever I tried to shut down my computer, it did not obey me, the display was turned off but the LED light on the power button was still on and I still heard my hard drive running. I had to force shutdown it for more than a dozen of time by press and holding the power button. Not sasfisfied with Windows 10, I restored my laptop back to Windows 8.1 using the Windows 8.1 System Recovery DVD Set (i bought it together with the laptop). The recovery was successful but everytime i log in my Microsoft account, the first thing i see is my desktop and a report: "igfx tray module has stopped working".

So I recovered my laptop mutiple times by using windows factory reset setting or Windows 8.1 System Recovery DVD Set and the problem was still there. I checked my laptop by starting a component test and the short DST failed (long DST passed). I managed to find a solution for this by using a new microsoft account to log in or using a local account. But it didn't last long. My overall experience after i fixed it was bad, everything loaded so slow and it even stopped working that I had to force shutdown it mutiple time. Now both the short DST test and long DST test is failed and even when I'm  setting up my laptop after I recovered it, it's still laggy.

I checked everything with component test and the only thing that is out of order is my HDD. So I decide that i'm going to buy a Samsung laptop SSD 850 Pro 250GB at a retail store and have a technician replace it. But there are some question that need to be answered before I do it.

1. Is Samsung laptop SSD 850 Pro 250GB compatible with my laptop? I know that my latop supports SATA3 but i don't know if my latop can supply it with enough power.

2. Can i use the Windows 8.1 System recovery DVD set to clean install the OS after I replaced HDD with SSD? If not, what can I do to install the OS.

3. I know the Windows 8.1 key is injected in the motherboard but will it automatically activate after I replaced HDD with SSD and performed a clean install? If not, what do I have to do to activate Windows 8.1 (I managed to see and write down the activation code)

Please help me. I'm really appreciate your opinion and advice. Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Level 19
Level 19
78,191 77,598 9,542 20,654
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

1. Samsung does not supply filler frame, I had to use a frame from Cricual. That is all you need to check.

2. Yes, you can do a clean install BUT you need to use same Windows edition/version,

3. The key is embeded to BIOS and should be activated automatically .

Regards.

Note: The thickness of Samsung SSD is only 7mm, we use a frame filler to rise SSD to 9.5mm.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
VinceWT
Level 1
7 3 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. Please tell me more about filler frame. Which brand should I go after for filler frame? And please post a picture about filler frame and a guide of how to install it with the SSD. I'm pretty green when it comes to installing hardware.

0 Kudos
VinceWT
Level 1
7 3 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@banhien wrote:

Hi,

1. Samsung does not supply filler frame, I had to use a frame from Cricual. That is all you need to check.

2. Yes, you can do a clean install BUT you need to use same Windows edition/version,

3. The key is embeded to BIOS and should be activated automatically .

Regards.

Note: The thickness of Samsung SSD is only 7mm, we use a frame filler to rise SSD to 9.5mm.

Thank you for your answer. I have a few more question. Do I have to change AHCI, RAID in BIOS setting? Some topic on the Internet say that before replacing HDD with SSD, I should change to RAID. Should I do it?

There is some tweak recommended when replacing HDD with SSD that I would like to do but I need to hear Expert opinion before I give it a go. Here's the link to that website:

http://alienwareusersupport.weebly.com/upgrading-to-an-ssd.html

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation