cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jpventer
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Whats the deal with HP Smart Friend?

HP Recommended

Just got my envy leap motion 17 se a week ago and yesterday needed some help with the wifi which just wouldn't connect. There's an icon on my desktop saying HP Smart Friend, which I assumed would be the defacto port of call for any device support. I did go down that route, downloaded the agent remote software and was able to connect to a live HP agent - but before I even got to ask my question they cut me off with a message saying that I need to choose a subscription. So my question is are the HP Support options (especially the remote agent type) paid for subscriptions and not part of any new HP device purchase? I find that hard to believe, and  if so what are a consumers available support options (free) for any new HP device pruchase?

I managed to solve the wifi issue myself, but this info will still be handy to know for the future.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Dragon-Fur
Level 16
Level 16
33,176 32,654 3,043 11,032
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

JP,

Welcome to the HP Forum.

Looks like Smart Friends is, for the most part, a subscription service.  There are also "one time" fee sessions available that might be nice for the sticky problems.

On a new computer with only the basic warranty, you are covered for hardware failure.

HP SmartFriend Services

I can imagine the Smart Friends service being very useful for some people -- for example, for a family member living somewhere away from you that is not "tech savvy" and may need a helping hand on occasion with their computer.  This might include a parent who can open email or Facebook but cannot figure out how to install new drivers.   Installing drivers is easy if you understand computers -- it can be a nightmare if you only understand enough to log onto the computer read your Facebook page.   You call the service, have them connect with the parent's computer, and fix the problem.  Poof. 

The Windows 8 tutorial might be interesting for someone coming in from a background in an older Operating System.  The price might seem high until one sits in front of the computer and stares blankly at the new Start Screen and blinking Tiles thinking, "Now, what?"  Most people might actually say things that cannot be printed here, but you see my point.  We might pay more for an afternoon's cocktails than this Introduction costs and the frustration it saves might be well worth the price.  Smiling.

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to say Thank You for the help.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Dragon-Fur

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
jpventer
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. It seems it is as you said. Gonna be removing that smart freind icon (it's cheeky of HP to put their in the first place - probably to make a buck or two out of our not tech savvy parentd I guess - shame).

Oh BTW HP Sony eSupport (the remote agent kind) is free 😕

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation