cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
bluevwpod
5 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

When playing a movie the screen freezes up ten to twenty minutes into the film

HP Recommended

When playing a movie the screen freezes up ten to twenty minutes into the film.  I have called HP up and the update the computer but it still freezes.  I have had the computer less than a year but never been able to play a movie via a DVD>  Downloads always work.  Should I replace the DVD/CD player?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DavidPK
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,902 16,858
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

First, try the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below.

Windows 7

Vista

Check if the drive will now play a DVD correctly.

If it still doesn't work, click the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter. 

Next, click the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When the device has uninstalled click on the 'Scan for Hardware Changes' icon ( usually just below Help on the toolbar ).  Let windows reinstall the drive and see if it now plays a DVD.

If none of the above has helped and considering your notebook is less than a year old, I would strongly recommend contacting HP using the relevant link below and arrange for the notebook to be repaired while it is still under warranty.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
bluevwpod
Author
5 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Downloading from Microsoft worked! Thank you

0 Kudos
DavidPK
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,902 16,858
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome, glad it helped :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation