Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

Where can I get windows 8

HP Recommended

I have  a Pavillion 14-B029TU. The hdd failed - wouldn't boot or run restore. I didn't realise it still had a week or so of warranty left so I put a new drive in. I'm running debian on it at the moment but would like to reinstall windows 8.

Where can I get win 8 from - I dont want to pay for it again. 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,899 16,760
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

As your notebook originally shipped with Windows 8, the activation key is stored in the Bios chip, so you could create your own OEM Windows 8 installation disc.

For details on how to do this, see the 3rd post by Huffer on the following link.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/Need-Product-key/m-p/2592099/highlight/false#M96668

Best regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply but I wanted to find where I could download the operating system (win8) that it came with.

ie Windows 8 and all the specific drivers & HP software. 

Surely hp have the original images stored somewhere -

I didn't purchase windows8 seperately - it came with the HP computer supplied by HP

I've tried dowloading some windows 8 iso's online - Twice downloaded over 3G before a network error stopped it.

I have a valid product key so why isn't there some secure site where I can enter the key and download exactly what I paid for?

Otherwise can you post me the original software on a DVD?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,676 9,585 776 3,589
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

You cannot download the Windows operating system for your computer from the Internet.

However, if your HDD failed, the option is to purchase recovery disks (they are cheap) - they contain the original condition of the operating system for your notebook.

Please, have a look at this article ->

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143

You may also contact HP support and ask for support about the recovery disk purchase -> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Your feedback and update are important.
Click below on Accept As Solution and Likes+ icon if my comments helped or to say thanks

I work for HP Inc. *** I express personal opinion only and do not speak for HP *** My location: Europe *** Volunteer
Highlighted
Level 4
133 131 5 10
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you want to get an original factory image that was on the computer when you purchased it, you are going to have to order them from HP.  This is a consumer forum section and we here try to help you but are consumers and not employees of HP.  You can order the discs from HP and pay for them to be shipped to your home.  There is no place to download the image that was on the computer.  You would have had to create the restore CD's from your computer when it had the original hard drive that crashed in it.  This is something that should be done immediately upon purchase of the computer, however, unfortunately a lot of people do not do this and end up paying for it later.  You can as suggested find an image of Windows 8 and create your own startup disc as the Key is built into BIOS so that your computer will load a legit copy of Windows 8.  However, if you want the original software that came with the computer, you are going to have to purchase it.  In order for the discs to work however, you would have had to either put the same size hard drive in the computer or larger.  It will not work with a smaller hard drive.

Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your replies .. I sent an email to customer support so see what happens

My whinge-

I've got 3 teenage kids, good kids - all want computers - all try hard to keep them good but none has lasted much more than a year - pretty standard for kids I would think.  I've bought 7 laptops for them in the last 3 years. 

Each time I've bought windows with them as I have with my personal computers. I've purchased Win7 at least 5 times and win8 3 times.  Its hard enough to feed the kids I cant afford to pay Microsoft hundreds of dollars each year for the same bug ridden  product.

Personally, I hate micrsoft and have used linux for the last 10 years - its a beautiful operating system - I dont understand why people even want to use microsoft products but we're all forced to buy them.

Now when I just want to restore windows, for my daughter so she has a computer for uni, I have download it from dodgy sites and act like a criminal - But whyo's really the criminal me or MS ????........ me, I know .... but if they're the good guys then  I want to be evil.

My 2nd computer in 1985 was an apricot portable .. sure it ran msdos but it also had a GUI, wireless keyb/mouse, voice control etc - I was excited by computers back then - I thought the future was upon us and within 10 years computers would be doing all the dirty work and life would be so easy - we wouldn't need money.

Microsoft and Apple's profiteering put an end to all that.

Now computers are becoming a burden to most people and only making their life harder.

Large corporations use computers as a way to make squillions out of the dumb masses not to aid humanity.

Micosoft, Apple, HP all enemies of humanity. Viva linux...    

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,676 9,585 776 3,589
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@doucmeasicu wrote:

I've bought 7 laptops for them in the last 3 years. 

Each time I've bought windows with them as I have with my personal computers. I've purchased Win7 at least 5 times and win8 3 times.  Its hard enough to feed the kids I cant afford to pay Microsoft hundreds of dollars each year for the same bug ridden  product.

Wow, that's a lot of computer for home user 🙂

You don't need to pay for so many Windows licenses. If you have retail boxed versions of Windows, you can transfer the license to the new computer if you plan to replace certain computer, you don't have to throw it away.

For example - you pay for a license for Windows 8.1 - it has support until 2023 and you can use this license for at least 10 years - no need to "recycle" the Windows license.

Any Microsoft consumer license is perpetual - valid for ever - you don't need to pay for a license for the operating system each and every year.

Your feedback and update are important.
Click below on Accept As Solution and Likes+ icon if my comments helped or to say thanks

I work for HP Inc. *** I express personal opinion only and do not speak for HP *** My location: Europe *** Volunteer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It sounds so easy ... Nearly every computer in the stores in my town have windows pre installed - cant buy one without it. You can go online and buy one without windows but then you still cant download windows anywhere

HP will send system disks out but unfortunately that service is not operating in my area at the moment ... they were very appologetic which did ease the pain of another hour going round in circles on their site.

As it turned out my girl needed a laptop for uni and since I couln't get windows on her old machine, I had to buy her another one ... so another donation to poor microsoft.

Only good thing that came out of it is that I've got another reject laptop to join my other 3 and happily run one or other flavor of linux ... hmm this ones got some grunt too ... I hope the  hp hardware doesn't cripple it.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation