Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 15 inch 2017
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought a Spectre x360 15 inch 2017 model (which I love so far).

And I really want to find an external battery pack that will charge it.

I tried the RAVPower 26800 Power Delivery battery pack (30W, 20V @ 1.5A output) over USB-C, but I get a message on the screen saying, "For full performance, connect a higher capacity power adapter."

The part about "for full performance" seems to indicate that it could work, just not at full performance.

However, I'm quite sure it is not charging the laptop at all.

The power indicator light will turn on briefly two times, but then stay off.

Charging also does not occur while the laptop is in sleep mode or turned off.

The Spectre does seem to charge the RAVPower, but not vice versa.

On the bottom of the Spectre x360 15 inch 2017, it says it accepts 90W / 20V @ 4.5A.

Since the RAVPower is supposed to be able to supply 20V @ 1.5A (30W), I thought it would charge the laptop, although at a much slower pace (which would be fine).

So....is this RAVPower unable to charge the laptop (maybe it doesn't actually provide 20V)?

Is there any external battery pack (with USB-C, of course) that will charge it?

Or is there something on the Spectre blocking the use of non-HP chargers?

Note: I have updated the BIOS to the most recent version (F.11).

Also, I'm using the USB-C cable that came with the RAVPower battery.

Maybe that cable is not compatible with Power Delivery? I'm not sure....can't find any info on that online.

Should I try ordering the Anker USB-C cable that seems to be rated for use with Power Delivery?

If anyone can provide any information on this issue, I would be very grateful.

Thank you~

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@John_11

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand you want an external battery that works with the HP Spectre x360,

I'd like to thank you for the detailed description of your concern,

as you have ensured I don't have to ask any more questions, that said, I'm afraid as of now, HP doesn't have any offers or support available for external charging options for your x360.

And we do not recommend using 3rd party power banks or chargers as you may reduce battery life and/or damage the computer if necessary power isn't being supplied to it.

I hope that answers your question and that you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

{If this resolved your concern, Click on "Accept as Solution" & the Purple Thumbs up}.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Riddle_Decipher,

Thank you for your prompt response.

Yes. I understand that HP cannot (according to company policy) recommend the use of third-party battery packs or chargers. I really wish HP produced/sold a battery pack guaranteed to work with their devices. I would the first to buy one, because I often need to use my computer away from power outlets for long periods of time, making an external battery pack a necessity for me.

With my previous laptops, I always had a battery pack with DC out (barrel head-type cable with adapters) that worked fine with most laptops. So, the recent switch to USB-C charging and lack of USB-C Power Delivery battery packs is becoming a problem for me, unfortunately. So, I will need to keep looking for a third-party battery pack for the Spectre x360 15 inch 2017~

My final question is:

Is there any block/restriction (in BIOS maybe) that is preventing the laptop from working with such third-party battery packs? If I find a quality battery pack that provides the proper voltage and amps (through USB-C), will it work (on the laptop's end)? If there is such a block/restriction, can it be removed with a BIOS update, etc.? Answers to these questions will help me decide if I need to return this laptop or not~

Thank you for your help so far!

HP Recommended

@John_11

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

I will be glad to forward your feedback to the R&D team to work on an external source as such,

However, until it's approved and/or made, I'm afraid the PC wouldn't work with such products as it is blocked by the BIOS.

And making changes in the BIOS may not be an option either considering the same would be locked or system managed.

I hope my answers were helpful

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello.

I meant to reply earlier but I got quite busy/distracted for a while there.

Thank you again for your reply.

So, the use of third-party chargers/batteries is blocked by the BIOS. I see....

After my last post, I did some searching for information and posts by other Spectre x360 users about this issue.

I found that a lot of people had 13-inch Spectre x360's last year with BIOSs similarly locked.

However, it seems that HP issued a BIOS update that allowed the use of third-party chargers/batteries.

Is this correct??

If so, will there be a similar update/unlocking of the the 15-inch 2017 model??

Any idea when that might happen??

I also read about HP support people unlocking the BIOS manually (over the Internet/controlling customer's computer).

Is that possible? Could a competent customer do that themselves?

Not being able to charge the laptop with an external battery while I'm on the go is a deal-breaker for me.

One of the main reasons I bought this laptop was the reported long battery life (which is actually not bad so far....about 9 to 10 hours of careful/basic use).

And the prospect of being to charge it with an external battery, giving me maybe 16 hours or more (maybe), was very exciting.

My current laptop/battery combo gives me about 12 hours or so, so I'm better off sticking with that (even though it's getting a littl old) until I find another laptop I like~

Sorry for the long post. Look forward to your reply^^

HP Recommended
Hi John
No idea if that goes ravpower 27000 with spectre x360 15, spectre charge cable on 100w charge output. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LCFS9S6?tag=rpower-20
HP Recommended

Hi~

Yes, I looked for battery packs like that too (with AC plug).

But, from what I've read, they don't even give half a full charge (due to heat losses in battery and laptop charging brick).

In addition, those batteries are around three times as heavy and three times as expensive as other battery packs (like I've used before), which should be able to give an almost full charge for a laptop.

So that is very disappointing.

My previous external battery charged my old 15-inch laptop at 19V @ 3.5A.

And this Spectre x360 15-inch (2017) charges at 20V @ 4.5A (USB C).

So,  it should be possible to make/find a battery pack that can charge it, I think.

But the BIOS block on third-party chargers makes this impossible anyway.

Does anyone at HP know if there will be a BIOS update to allow third-party chargers??

Isn't USB-C charging supposed to be universal?

I know that poor-quality chargers could potentially damage the laptop.

But if I'm willing to take the risk, is there any way to unlock the BIOS??

Any help would be appreciated~

HP Recommended

Dear Riddle,

I have a similar problem with my Spectre Pro G1 (Intel Core I7 - 6500U @ 2.50GHz- product code X2F00EA ).

In order to power or recharge it away from AC, I've just bought an HP Power Pack Plus 18000 which is stated to feed  5V @ 3A via USB type C connector.

By the way, this unit sports also 3 other outlets: 2 USB (2 A and 1 A) and a 19V barrel type.

The standard AC/DC charger which came with the Spectre states a DC output of 5V @ 2A, so, I was confident that the Power Pack was my solution.

Wrong!

When I plug the USB C coming from the Power Pack in the Spectre nothing happens, apart the fact that the computer's power icon "say" it's running on the internal battery (no external power).

Why this happens?

The BIOS blocking issue shouldn't apply, because this Power Pack is from HP.

May you be of any help?

HP Recommended
Hi John

Its not so easy to find a powerbank with big usb-c output.

http://www.abyone.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=72&product_id=139

No idea if that goes?

HP Recommended

I have HP Spectre x360 15" 2017 (Kaby Lake version) and just bought RAVPower 26800 PD (Power Delivery) with USB Type-C output.
It won't charge laptop through neither of the ports (tried both USB-C ports on the right side). No charging indicator is showing in Windows at battery icon in system tray, small charging LED indicator near ports is not turning on, and in fact laptop is discharging.

I also have Plugable USB-C Voltage Meter and when plugged in between it says 19.5V and 0.01A. It's turning on - so there should be some minimal current, as otherwise the meter is off. But it will say current about 0A, which corresponds to laptop not charging. If I reverse the direction (long-press on powerbank allows this), it will show current towards the powerbank and powerbank indicates it's being charged. So it's working one way (charge powerbank from laptop) but not the intended other way (charge laptop from powerbank).

I have latest Thunderbolt drivers I could find - 16.3.61.275. It also didn't work with previous version 16.2.52.250. Not sure if Thunderbolt drivers may influence here but I tried.
The laptop BIOS is also up-to-date, version F.20 Rev.A. I didn't try before with older version of BIOS as I didn't have powerbank at that time.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.