Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I am curious about HP NOTEBOOK motherboards. They recently started using HP brand motherboards. Can anyone tell me if they are actually "producing" these motherboards themselves or are the branding another manufacturers motherboard with the HP logo and if so who is actually producing the motherboards they are branding HP?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Factories in China make the motherboards to HP's specs. The laptop motherboard is only for a specific model laptop. Don't think of it like an Asus or Abit motherboard which can be used in any PC. Laptop motherboards are the guts of the laptop and when HP commissions a laptop to be made in China it is the whole package including the motherboard.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
Factories in China make the motherboards to HP's specs. The laptop motherboard is only for a specific model laptop. Don't think of it like an Asus or Abit motherboard which can be used in any PC. Laptop motherboards are the guts of the laptop and when HP commissions a laptop to be made in China it is the whole package including the motherboard.
HP Recommended
Thanks for Quick reply, Huffer.

Sorry for more doubts. So, HP only should have the option to sell monterboards as these are desinged and manufactured accordingly. How these motherboards are available for low price at third party websites/stores compared to HP part store? 

From Where exactly these third party people get HP motherboards to sell? Is it from HP? or Factories in China?
HP Recommended
Those are salvage parts from laptops returned for service that had other defects like maybe a bad screen. Also, like the automobile industry, the assemblers also create a supply of replacement parts and sometimes there is a surplus. The HP motherboards you see are actual HP motherboards from one of those supply channels. There has been from time to time rumours that there are fake or knock-off laptop replacement parts out there but I find it hard to believe somebody could afford to set up machinery to make exact duplicates of unique laptop motherboards and make a profit at the low prices being charged but who knows what is going on over there?  It seems more plausible with desktop motherboards which have a common form factor, so you could set up machinery and make a lot of different motherboards more easily. It is also likely that occasionally you will come across parts like laptop motherboards that have been repaired in an unauthorized manner. Only buy from reputable sources, in other words. I don't buy laptop replacement parts from HP or Dell or whatever because they cost way too much. I generally buy from ebay and only from sellers with hundreds of positive feedback and nearly a 100% rating and have not really had much of a problem.
HP Recommended
Yep, its a bunch of steps to make a single Mboard.  Its not just one big machine spitting them out like a newspaper printer.  The Board itself is  a whole process just to get the correct circuits going the right way.  From multi acid baths, and layers of boards all stuck together.  More so in small notebooks.  Mboard start out a a sheet of copper that it burnt off, then cover, then burted, then repeated.  Then to the next steps, and machine.  Most of the time they have a few companies adding to it piece by piece.  The larger connectors are hand set onto the Board, like memory slots, Processor Holds etc. 
HP MINI1000 16GBSSD,ASUS EEEPC 701 4GBSSD, DELL1501-DELL1520-DELLB1300-DELL3800 CERTS A+ NET+ OS- 3.1-98, 2000, 2000AS, XP, XPAS, XP64, VISTA H,P,U,B VISTA 64BIT WIN7BETA NT4 MSCE
HP Recommended

HP is one of the OEM ( Original Equipment Manufacturer ) using all the ODM ( Original Design Manufacturer ) in Taiwan and China to manufacture all the Server, Workstation, Desktop and Laptop systems.

HP does not have its own factory to manufacture Laptop system. ODM such Quanta, Compal, Inventec and etc are making all the different series of Laptop systems for HP.

As far as I know, the ONLY laptop OEM who has its own factory to manufacture PC systems is Panasonic. Fujitsu also owns its own factory for a limited series of PC systems but is in the process of out-sourcing their PC systems to Taiwan/China in order to cut the cost down.

Most the ODM design houses are located at Taiwan. They may build a limited Prototype system in Taiwan to prove the concept. As soon as the design is proven to be functional, they will move the full production to China ( some free-trade zone outside of Shanghai in the North and in Shenzhen outside of Hong Kong in the South ).

HP Recommended

Since your question and the answers you received are into the HP laptop hardware, I have a question for you guys  ....Do you know what manufacturer supplies the hard drive hardware for the HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook PC?

HP Recommended

Sir , i purchase Hp pavilion N-259tx ,
Sr. No - [Personal Information Removed]
G2H01PA#ACJ
Because of sum issue my laptop motherboard is burn so i want to replace with another motherboard , please tell the cost of motherboard.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.