cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
AsishTom Tutor
Tutor
8 5 0 2
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Why HP not giving Linux support for HP 15-AY503TX ?

Why HP not giving Linux support for HP 15-AY503TX ? When a system comes with out OS why HP limiting users freedom . I tried Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 16.04 LTS  both are not working proper. System is heating up. Display is a disaster in linux. Kindly provide driver support in Linux. If it won't support linux why don't u mention it in E commerce sites.  Kindliy give linux support or mention in description it self this product wont support linux and if u want to use linux kindly don't buy this product.

8 REPLIES 8
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4,459 4,402 448 747
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@AsishTom wrote:

Why HP not giving Linux support for HP 15-AY503TX ? When a system comes with out OS why HP limiting users freedom . I tried Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 16.04 LTS  both are not working proper. System is heating up. Display is a disaster in linux. Kindly provide driver support in Linux. If it won't support linux why don't u mention it in E commerce sites.  Kindliy give linux support or mention in description it self this product wont support linux and if u want to use linux kindly don't buy this product.

Hi,

The reason for Ubuntu not working properly is that the best developers left it and started developing Linux Mint at this time the most popular linux according to server distrowatch.com. I'd try Mint or Debian. Although HP have a poor linux computer support they have a great driver support for printers and scanners. If you want a working system go straight on the linux home website and see the tutorials and how tos. I have been using linux for more than 10 years but still follow the wiki on the home page to  make sure everuthing works properly. Never had any issues with a HP laptop. Had three of them in last 6 years.

Dv6-7000 Debian Buster
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
0 Kudos
AsishTom Tutor
Tutor
8 5 0 2
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have installed mint linux and tried to switch graphics. This is what happend . I am adding my screen. 

LAP model:AY503TX GRAPHICS : RADEON R5 M430

Screenshot at 2017-01-14 08-43-21.png

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
9,949 8,790 722 3,232
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @AsishTom

Thank you for posting.

I would disagree with @pepe999 that Ubuntu developers left it and went to Linux Mint.

Linux Mint is a separate project but reliest solely on Ubuntu (and Debian) .

Linux Mint core (kernel) is the same as Ubuntu's . What Linux Mint is better in is the user experience (desktop stuff). LM uses the same kernel (and drivers) as Ubuntu.

With regards to Linux Mint:

I can suggest you try and experiment with different kernels and different versions - LM 17.2 works best in my opinion.

But LM 18 might be better for your setup.

Just open Update Manager, click on View > Linux Kernels

Try with kernel 3.19 or 4.2 or 4.4

My HP computer works best with 3.19 but another PC I used before worked best with 4.2

Some customers I have seen prefer 4.4 - it depends.

You can also see if LM (Ubuntu) offers you the option to install propertiery driver (non open-source) from Settings > Driver Manager

****  Please, click on the button below to mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helped you
****  Don't hesitate to hit the THUMB-UP+ button below to say THANKS or give LIKE
I am not employed by HP Inc. **** I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** IT Commodity and Cyber Security professional

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
9,949 8,790 722 3,232
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@AsishTom

With regards to your other question:

HP has relatively good Linux support - HP printers are one of the most recommended online for best Linux support, for example.

The issue may be ATI/AMD . HP does not directly mess or influence with what Canonical and Ubuntu community do and additional video cards are known to cause some issues with Linux.

Please, review these:

>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

>> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/03/ubuntu-drops-amd-catalyst-fglrx-driver-16-04

>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/815591/ubuntu-14-04-5-16-04-16-10-and-amd-graphics

****  Please, click on the button below to mark this post as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION if it helped you
****  Don't hesitate to hit the THUMB-UP+ button below to say THANKS or give LIKE
I am not employed by HP Inc. **** I express personal opinion only. **** HP Expert **** IT Commodity and Cyber Security professional

0 Kudos
AsishTom Tutor
Tutor
8 5 0 2
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It not the problam with one distibution of ubuntu. I did't installed any grahics card.It's done by HP and incompatablity casuse is not me its HP. I hav tried cent os(7) , Ubuntu(14.X,15.X,16.x  inc(LTS)),Mint Linux, and None suppots this. In the feature list itself they could have mention like "HP AY503TX" won't suport  any of these.  After buying a generic laptop seeing that its not supported by any of the  above mentioned os  its  horrible. If i knew this before I would have purchaced some other Mechine.

Any of the offical HP guy is seeing this kindy tell me, which linux distro of  what version you  guys giving support for "HP-AY503TX" or Do i need to throw it to waste bin an purchase some other mechine.

original.png

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4,459 4,402 448 747
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@AsishTom wrote:

It not the problam with one distibution of ubuntu. I did't installed any grahics card.It's done by HP and incompatablity casuse is not me its HP. I hav tried cent os(7) , Ubuntu(14.X,15.X,16.x  inc(LTS)),Mint Linux, and None suppots this. In the feature list itself they could have mention like "HP AY503TX" won't suport  any of these.  After buying a generic laptop seeing that its not supported by any of the  above mentioned os  its  horrible. If i knew this before I would have purchaced some other Mechine.

Any of the offical HP guy is seeing this kindy tell me, which linux distro of  what version you  guys giving support for "HP-AY503TX" or Do i need to throw it to waste bin an purchase some other mechine.

original.png

You have to be patient because sometimes it needs a bit tweaking to get the system working as it should. That AMD vga is most likely not installed and it uses only the Intel vga chip. It shouldn't be a cause for overheating anyway. There is probably an issue with ACPI drivers. Ubuntu and Mint are both based on Debian linux. Try Sabayon linux. I have used Ubuntu until this distro came around and used it for a long time. Kodi is installed by default..

https://www.sabayon.org/

All the mentioned linux distributions have their own user forums. It's better to ask advanced users on those forums because they are more experienced and probably sorted similar or the same issues before on laptops from different vendors but the same specs.

Dv6-7000 Debian Buster

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4,459 4,402 448 747
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@IT_WinSec wrote:

Hi @AsishTom

Thank you for posting.

I would disagree with @pepe999 that Ubuntu developers left it and went to Linux Mint.

Linux Mint is a separate project but reliest solely on Ubuntu (and Debian) .

Linux Mint core (kernel) is the same as Ubuntu's . What Linux Mint is better in is the user experience (desktop stuff). LM uses the same kernel (and drivers) as Ubuntu.

With regards to Linux Mint:

I can suggest you try and experiment with different kernels and different versions - LM 17.2 works best in my opinion.

But LM 18 might be better for your setup.

Just open Update Manager, click on View > Linux Kernels

Try with kernel 3.19 or 4.2 or 4.4

My HP computer works best with 3.19 but another PC I used before worked best with 4.2

Some customers I have seen prefer 4.4 - it depends.

You can also see if LM (Ubuntu) offers you the option to install propertiery driver (non open-source) from Settings > Driver Manager

Hi IT_WinSec,

Some admin on the Czech Ubuntu forum mentioned that some time ago. It looked like he got the info from someone close to the developers.

Dv6-7000 Debian Buster

Provost Provost
Provost
19,508 17,419 1,622 3,816
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

AsishTom

If you were to check around in the Ubuntu Forums, you would find out that AMD has dropped Linux fglrx driver support in the recent Linux OS kernel versions.

They are working on a new drive, but at present, it only works with a very few AMD chipsets -- the ones in the most recent video cards.

If you have what is now considered one of the "older" HD series cards, the new AMD driver will not work with those, and without support for fglrx anymore, that relegates you to the open source default driver -- and that also presents problems on some Linux distros.

I personally find Mint to be more tolerant of video driver issues than Ubuntu, even though they are supposedly based on the same Linux kernel.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation