cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

WiFi keeps dropping after upgrade HP Envy 15 notebook to Windows 10

Envy 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I asked HP remote support to fix the Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 3160 adapter.  They uninstalled and re-installed the driver for the latest version 18.30.0.9 dated 2015-11-03.

WiFi connection improved a bit but after some longer period of usage, it fell back to the previous state of losing connection after running for a few minutes.

The error showed in troubleshooting is "Wireless Service not running".  However the services shown in task manager are all running properly.  Sometimes, it can be recovered with the troubleshooting procedure, sometimes not. 

Does HP have the correct Windows 10 wireless driver on the adapter?  I have exhausted all possibility by making sure the driver is up to date.  Wireless connection worked fine in Windows 8.1 before upgrade.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Level 20
Level 20
114,717 104,895 16,556 25,401
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi:

I find it interesting that HP can install a driver with a version that is newer than even the latest driver on Intel's website (Version: 18.21.0 (Latest)  Date: 11/9/2015) 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25513/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-10

You may want to give the above driver a try.  The second file listed is the 64 bit driver only, and the 4th file listed is the 64 bit proset software and driver.

Now, I am usually a person that just installs the basic driver, but I have read other posts from forum members that had the Intel 2230 wireless card with constantly dropping connections like yours, and what worked for most of them was to install the full proset software and driver suite.

So, try the full 107.41 MB 64 bit file first and see if that resolves the problem for you as well.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I uninstalled the current driver and  installed the Intel wireless driver 18.21.0 from the Intel site.  Unfortunately, it does not resolve the problem.  Wifi keeps dropping after working a while.  The same situation as with the HP installed driver.

I read other forums that this may due to some old VPN driver on Windows 8.1 before Win 10 upgrade.  I did have a Juniper VPN software during the upgrade.  I removed it after the Win 10 upgrade.  Also some articles said to delete a registry key.  

Finally, found an article in Microsoft site on " Computer that has VPN software installed can't detect wireless network after upgrading to Windows 10".

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3084164

Tried that, but the troubleshooter and the manual fix both failed.  I can't find the registry key to delete.

Capture.PNG

IT sounds like a Windows 10 problem.  Any idea?

I have to restart the Windows wireless service  once a while through the "Troubleshoot Problems" option right click on the WiFi icon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Sorry that the Intel driver didn't work.

If you believe that the Juniper VPN software may have interfered with the wireless not working on W10, you may want to do a clean install of W10, if your current installation is activated.

A clean install will remove any conflicts with previous software/drivers you had installed by doing the in-place upgrade.

I had to do that with one of my PC's that also had some major issues with W10 and Office 2003 only opening files as read only and I tried every suggested fix out there to no avail.  A clean install resolved the issues.

It is relatively quick and easy if you don't mind reinstalling your programs and files.

If you had previously upgraded to W10 and it was successfully activated, you can skip all the prerequisite stuff and clean install W10 by creating the installation media from the link below.  It will give you a choice to make a DVD or bootable usb flash drive.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/w​indows10

When you boot from the installation media and go to install, you will be asked to enter a product key or select "I don't have a product key.'

Select I don't have a product key, and proceed with the installation.

Once you are connected to the internet, W10 will automatically activate since there is a record that it was previously installed and activated on your PC.

The only other suggestions I can offer regarding trying to get the current installation to work with the card is to go to the advanced settings for the wireless card in the device manager, and change the Roaming Aggressiveness setting to lowest and ensure the transmit power is set to highest.

I can't understand why your 3160 card isn't working just fine on W10. 

I have the 7260 N card and it works fine, and even my older notebooks with ancient Intel wireless cards (3945, 4965, 5300) all work fine on W10, even though Intel says they are not supported.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks Paul_Tikkanen.

I have given a last try by setting the wireless card options as you suggested.  It still didn't work. 

(1) Before I start the clean install, do you suggest to go back to the previous Win8.1 first or install Win10 on the existing crippled Win10?  The PC is activated for Win10 less than 30 days.

(2) I have Office 2010 Professional Plus activated on Win 8.1.  Do I have to reinstall it after clean Win 10 install?

(3) I have also installed a new McAfee on Win 10.  Will that be erased by the clean install?

(4) Will the clean install preserve data in the C: drive, like My Documents, Pictures, custom folders etc?  Of course, I will do a backup of the data beforehand.

I originally used the free upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10.  All programs and data remained intact after upgrade.  I did not expect such a problem though.

Teefun

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi:

If you can revert to W8.1, you may want to go that route first and uninstall the VPN program before trying to upgrade to W10.

But to answer your questions.

You can install W10 over the existing one.  Just elect to keep nothing.

You would have to reinstall Office and Mcafee, so make sure you have the product keys, but Office should activate automatically since Microsoft knows it was installed previously.

If you do not format the drive, you should have a windows.old folder which would still have all of your files.

But the new installation will have nothing.  You will need to copy your files to the new installation.

Question for you...could McAfee be causing the issue, or did it exist before you installed the software?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

The problem existed before I install McAfee. I am backing up my pc and revert it to win 8.1 before clean w10 install again.

May take a while for me to confirm. Hope it is not hardware problem.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Good luck.

I hope it isn't either.

If it was working fine on W8.1 then it probably is not a hardware problem, unless it is very coincidental.

Highlighted
Level 1
4 3 0 2
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Don't do 8.1 if you doing cause of wifi droping or this driver problem after the movember build of win 10 update it had affected many pc's i think its a bug. Contact Microsoft to resolve further
Highlighted
Level 1
5 4 1 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I discovered after applying "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3116900)", dated Dec 8, 2015, the wireless automation disconnection problem seems to go away.

I have been running on wireless connection continuouly for the last 24 hours on different routers after the **bleep** update.  The WIFi connection has not dropped.

It seems Microsoft has corrected this problem with the December build of Win 10.  Can someone else verify?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3116900

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation