cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 3
49 41 5 2
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

WiFi not Connecting/not working properly

HP Recommended
HP 15 F8R36EA#BH5 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

i have HP 15 F8R36EA#BH5  Notebook running microsoft windows 8.1 (64-bit). its wifi adapter is Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn. the problem is that the system will sometimes report that there are no connections available although there are networks available and of good strength. And when it does detect the network and i try to connect, it'll try to connect for a long time then say that it can't connect to this network. i've tried different suggestions from various forums to no avail. Options i've tried are:

1. disabling the bluetooth

2. updating the driver

3. setting roaming sensitivity of the adapter to "highest"

4. resetting winsock catalog

5. checking the power management option

please help

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
123,017 113,195 18,218 27,801
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

I would change the roaming setting to lowest.

Highest means it will look hard for any other wireless network but yours to connect to.

Wi-Fi roaming aggressiveness refers to the rate that your Wi-Fi client automatically selects and switches to another access point or router with better signal quality. If you are having trouble connecting to the closest router or your wireless adapter is constantly trying to connect to different routers, this may be due to the roaming aggressiveness setting on your adapter.

This is the latest driver for that card if you have not tried it.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_142231_1

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
49 41 5 2
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks Paul. I've actually updated the driver (sp66088) but that didn't solve the problem. As regard the roaming sensitivity, I've changed it to lowest but the problem still persist .
I'm thinking of installing another OS (windows 8), do you think that'll help?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Those cards unfortunately seem to have connection problems.

You can run W7 x64 or W8 x64 on it, but if I were you, looking at the service manual, it seems pretty easy to replace the wireless card.

You may just want to go with a better card such as the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 BT 4.0 combo adapter, or the Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260AN 802.11 a/b/g/n 2x2 WiFi + BT4.0 combo adapter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
49 41 5 2
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I did try to replace the adapter with Intel centrino wireless N1030, but it won't even detect any network at all. But one thing I discovered is that instead of the usual two black and white cable for the antenna on the adapter, there's just one black cable .
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That's unfortunated...

The manual shows two leads.

You won't be able to install either of those Intel cards I posted then.

Having only one antenna lead when the card has two antenna terminals is not good.

That is probably part of the problem.  Lousy reception,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 3
49 41 5 2
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Who do I do now?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions to offer.

If the antenna lead is long enough to connect to the other wireless terminal on the card, you may want to try hooking it up to that one and see if it makes any difference.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation