Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 41 of 72
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry bro "ProblemSolver" but I think your solution doesn't help. It's not a software problem there is only one way you have to go http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1443447 and read pacman_d suggestion of how to fix this problem. I haven't tried it yet but it seems more rational way to get rid of this irritating problem. However, it doesn't let elude HP staff their incompetence. I noticed that this problem exists from 2008 and i purchased my dv8 only a month ago it means that HP personal don't care about the HP brand image. I bitterly regretted to get into touch with this brand.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 42 of 72
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does anyone know if HP has acknowledged Brian's (or anyones) fix for this issue?  I sent my dv8t in for repair in January, just before the warranty expired.  Several issues were fixed including the battery and keyboard, but they also replaced the mediasmart touchpad to fix the spontansous tone/wireless resets.  Like everyone elses experience, it worked for about 6 weeks, then started crapping out again.  After spending almost an hour on the phone with India, I got them to agree to take it in under the 90 day warranty on the original warranty work.  But it all seems pointless if they're just going to replace the control pad and not fix the underlying issue of a lack of proper shielding.

Anyone know if they have a proper fix yet?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 43 of 72
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the same exact issue as everyone else in this post, and have tried everything other than disassembling and fixing the issue electronically.  One thing that I noted on mine that wasn't mentioned is that the problem started on the left side of the "mediasmart" touch pad and moved progressively to the right.  For quite a while, my DVD tray would open for no apparent reason.  Then, my volume would change by itself.  A couple of weeks later, my treble and bass would alternate.  Soon after that, the level of either treble or bass (depending on which was selected) would fluctuate.  Finally, my wifi is turning itself on and off. 

I have had to turn it back on 5 times just while typing this post!

This is the 2nd HP laptop I've had with a design flaw that was not resolved.  If this isn't resolved to my satisfaction, I'll never buy another HP laptop again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 44 of 72
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I spent almost 2 hours online with HP support and got the same ridiculous responses that everyone else did, even though I referred them to this forum at the begining.  I was completely willing to disable the entire touchpad, but the WiFi button continued to work.  Through trial & error, I determined that the Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6200 AGN driver is the problem.  When it's disabled, the WiFi button does nothing.  However, when it is installed, the issue remains.

I told HP this.  I specifically requested that they provide a new driver that does not use the WiFi button.  We'll see what happens.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
89 88 0 20
Message 45 of 72
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It isnt the driver. When you disable the wifi by removing the driver you are just turning off the wifi card and that is why the wifi button stops working. It is the same as if you unplugged the wifi card. Basically, the touch button can not turn the wifi on and off if the wifi card inst installed.

The driver cannot break the connection to the touch button, it is set in the firmware of the onboard touch controller and it is not accessible through the operating system.

The only way to fix this is by correcting the short where the static is arcing to the LIF connector. This is done by covering the LIF connector with kapton tape to insulate it and by covering the ribbon cable and touch panel bottom with foil tape to shield from static as well as providing a path to ground.

There is no other way to resolve this. Many people have tried and this is the only thing that works.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 46 of 72
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Brian, I sent my dv8t in for repair last week with a copy of your repair instructions attached.  Naturally, it came back without any reference to whether or not they actually did your repair, only the wireless and tone control checkboxes checked as repaired.  The wireless works again, but it also worked after the last repair... for about 2 months.  I'm hesitant to take it apart to see if they added any insulating tape, as I always seem to break off some fasterner or clip when I do.  I guess time will tell.  If it stops working again, I think I'll just take it to a local repair shop and pay them to do it.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 3
Message 47 of 72
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Let me save you a lot of time and aggravation. Brian220x's fix WORKS! No software will fix this problem, I've tried them all over the last 28 months. Some will SEEM to fix the problem but it WILL return. It is because of the improper/insufficient EMI shielding inside the unit. I followed the instructions in brian220x's, HaggisCat's and Pacman_d's posts (good photos BTW) and made sure everything was covered(shielded) and properly grounded. It has been two weeks and I have not had one single spurious activation of any of the touchpad functions. I have even turned the tone control service back on, no problems and EVERYTHING works properly. Since about a week after I bought it, my DV8T-1000 has NEVER, EVER gone two weeks without something on the touchpad 'freaking out' (mostly the wireless)... until now.

THANK YOU guys for isolating this problem, showing how to fix it.

How pathetic a company HP has sunk to when customers are forced to resolve HP's engineering failures on their own...

Driving with cerebellum in neutral not recommeded. 😉
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
27 26 0 0
Message 48 of 72
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Guess what problem came back after second time in for repair. Sent it in a few months ago and it actually has worked great and now its slowly and progressively coming back. Wireless has only dropped once or twice but the dreaded treble/bass keeps popping up and and expect the wireless dropping issues are not too far behind. The part I don't understand is how it can work for awhile then it comes back. Wondering if maybe heat is also a factor along with the static. We are getting into the hot summer months here in Michigan now. Either way it'll be yet another call and this time I'll be requesting a refund and be looking at the latest Toshiba's.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
11 9 0 1
Message 49 of 72
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi _71charger440RT and Brian220,

I've been trying to isolate the tape with no success, i finally had to disconnect the panel...

Can someone who succeeded covering the tape make a video or a step-by-step guide with images ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 50 of 72
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Brian220x

I also had the problem on my dv8.  After researching many sites I ended up here. I read everything that has been done and suggested. I did not want to send this laptop to HP and have the same results.  I am knowledgeable about PC's and logical as well, so I felt your post was the most logical for what is happening. I did as you suggested and the problem has gone away entirely. I have my laptop back!!!    PLEASE follow this mans advice, you will not regret it.  :generic:

Thank You Again Brian!

Bob

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation