Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Presario CQ58
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, trying to update (well I'm not trying but Win10 just keeps on going at it) from Win10 version 1511 to Win10 1607, The machine just stoppes after a few hours with a grey screen and I have to restart until it rolls back to the old version.

I have now been told by Microsoft that to do this the machine will need an updated "system devices driver". I know this is an older machine, so is this available? has it been done? will it be done? Is there a way to stop Win10 from trying to update?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

I had the same thing happen to my son's PC.

He told me that it keeps trying to update, and he has to revert back to the older W10 and it wastes a lot of time.

I did not have the time when I was visiting his house, to try and figure out what the issue could be, so I installed the utility to prevent windows from installing updates that mess up the PC.

You can do the same by downloading this utility.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-rei...

Run the utility before Windows has a chance to start updating itself again to the anniversary edition.

It will scan your PC and show the available updates.  Check the Windows update that is trying to install and that will hide the update and it will no longer bother you unless you run the utility again and select unhide the update.

HP will not be releasing any W10 drivers to support your PC, so you may have to live with the status quo.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul, I have done as you suggested as I'm sure I wll have to "live with it" unlike the microsoft tech who said "revert back to the other version and get rid of it" (the machine).  Shame he didn't know about their own sites info.

Fingers crossed,

Alan.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Alan.

I honestly have no idea why that is happening.

I have much older PC's running in the W10 1607 update, and none of them had an issue doing the auto update.

Even my son's PC was newer than most of the ones I have W10 running on, so if it is a driver issue, I have no idea what it could be.

If you really, really want the V1607, you could try doing a clean install of it, by making the lastest media from the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

But doing that of course is no guarantee it will work, and it would entail reinstalling all of your files and programs.

My son didn't care if had the latest version and he has so much junk on his PC...programs, files, etc, I wasn't going to volunteer to clean install v1607 and then have to reinstall everything.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.