cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
retouchingguy Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Win7 running jittery / slow for no reason?! Hp dv7?

VIDEO
PROCESSES SCREENSHOT

please have a quick look at the video I've captured - basically win7 seems to run in slow-motion, certain programs, and the internet are fine, and if I restart it will probably be ok - but every 2nd time I turn on the laptop it does this. No viruses detected with AVG, not many startup programs . . . what to do? has anyone else had this happen with HP laptops (dv7)? any help appreciated thankyou
Guy

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Dean
Dean
13,038 12,218 582 1,542
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So every other restart it runs fine and never slows down until the next restart?

0 Kudos
retouchingguy Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

actually its slow all day today!

0 Kudos
MisteurV Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did your notebook still freeze and run slow?

I've buy a HP DV7-4177 2 weeks ago, change the OS for Windows 7 Professionnal (I have to work with the professional version for some networking reasons), install all the drivers from HP website, update everything and my laptop run very slowly sometimes...

When I check the processor load... it's arround 80%!!

Did you found a solution?

My actual solution it's simply to return the laptop to the store and get a refund to change for another company... 😕

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
31 29 1 3
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK lads - - here is MY fix.
I've been all over the net in the past days trying to figure this one out.  Of course - the HP reps in India had no clue - best they could suggest was the INSANE remedy of restoring the computer to day zero (using the restore partition), then if I still had a problem they would take it back for diagnostics.
Well - - HP HAS to know what the REAL problem is - - they have GARBAGE for software interfaces - whether it's the IDT HD Audio Codec, the HDD shock sensor, or the WiFi / LAN connection, HP has proven once again that they JUST CAN'T GET IT RIGHT (nor do they care).  And I am SURE they still have the Whitelist in BIOS which will prevent me from installing a better WiFi radio!
What you have to do is determine WHICH driver (or drivers) are bogging down your system.  I for one was AMAZED that a single driver could totally HOSE an i7 quad processor with two threads per processor in my DV7t-5000 CTO!  But that seems to be the case for me.
Run, don't walk, to the following link and download the DPC Latency Checker.
<Yes - you need to remove the <> characters>
ht<>tp://www<.>thesycon<.>de/deu/latency_check<.>shtml
Put the program in a folder (under Programs (x86) if you like to be organized), with a shortcut on your desktop. RUN the program (you can add an exception to DEP if you want - or just approve execution when you run it).  Now follow the instructions (disabling one driver at a time in the device manager) in the DPC Latency Checker Product Sheet to find out WHICH drivers are causing the latency to bump up above 500 - 1000 microseconds.
For ME, there was no change with disabling the IDT codec (I did NOT have the ground loop problem mentioned by others, either), the Realtec ethernet driver, the hardware shock sensor, or the video driver.
For ME - the problem was the Intel WiFi Link 1000 driver!!!  And I tried it with ALL of the WiFi Link 1000 drivers available on the HP support download site.  WiFi driver enabled - Latency of 2000+ microseconds (unacceptable); WiFi driver disabled - Latency of 100 - 500 microseconds (no problems).
SO - - what did I do?  I just happened to have a Linksys WUSB600N (Dual-Band USB 802-11 b-g-N WiFi plug-in) laying around 🙂    Got the drivers from the Linksys web site installed and plugged in the WUSB600N (through a 6-port USB hub, no less!!).  This hardware does NOT show up in the HP wireless configuration panel, OR the Intel Pro wizard - BUT - Windows7 recognizes it just fine, and will allow you to connect to your WiFi network (you will have to re-enter your WEP password)!  With the Intel Link 1000 driver DISABLED, and the Linksys WUSB600N running, my latencies average around 500 microseconds or less, which is acceptable.
It's too bad HP has such mediocre staff that such a problem could be tolerated without SOMEONE getting fired.  Even with the problem identified (they may well be aware, but the HP equivalent of the pointy haired boss has his head so far up and locked that the fix will never see the light of day) and this solution published, what do you think chances are we'll get an updated WiFi driver??
I hope this is helpful to a few of you out there.

Merlin

0 Kudos
TerraNor Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for the hint about the DPC latency check.

For my EliteBook 8730w it was not any driver, it was the power supply. When I disconnected the power supply, the DPC lantency software showed good performance. When the power supply is connected it shows bad values.

The idea of testing the power supply I found here: 

http://www.itwriting.com/blog/985-hp-laptop-go-slow-caused-by-power-supply.html/comment-page-4#comme...

By the way: my new hp 8560w did not work properly so I had to remove the battery and run only on power supply. When it was up and running I could turn it off, insert the battery againg and it worked ok again. It seems that HP has a problem with power supply.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation