Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone, 

i want to perform a clean installation of windows 10 CU on my notebook becuase recently it runs slowly: but i have some questions.

First of all my notebook is a Notebook HP - 15-r117nl (K3F98EA#ABZ) that came with windows 8.1 and then update to win 10.

Now i already know how to create a DVD support with an windows ISO image. The questions are:

-Can i delete all the exsistent partitions? In "this PC" i can see only the system partition and the recovery D (oem partition) but in control panel i can see other three small partition (i can post a screen if useful). (About the D partition: i heard that with the upgrade to win 10 it becomes useless and the only way to get a factory reset is using recovery discs, is it correct?)

-How about activation? Windows will be automatically activated once connected to Internet? (I'm using the notebook with a local account)

-How about HP personalitazion? I think i have to download software and drivers from the hp website (like Hp support assistant and the other; how will i get back Dts control panel?). And how about OEM information? I mean HP logo on boot screen and manifacturer information in system information

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can delete every partition and create one big one if you want.

That's what I do.

You are correct about the recovery partition being of no value after you clean install W10.

Activation is automatic, once you are reconnected to the internet.

What you do is when you get to the install screen where you are asked to enter a product key, you select the 'I don't have a product key' option.

You will only be able to install the available drivers and software available on your notebook's support page.

Some of the programs that originally came with your PC will not be available on the support page.

The DTS control panel should be reinstalled by the audio driver.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer 

However I have two doubts:

What about Hp information system? I means the HP logo's and information about the notebook displayed for example in screen found in Settings>System>Information about. Not because i'm interested to see logo but because i want to know if the clean copy of windows recognizes to be used on a determinated notebook and not on a general pc (like on an assembled pc)

However, should i be able to come back to a factory condition (with windows 8.1 and all the software the pc came from) by starting an installation with the recovery disks i created?

I have to disable some things from the bios like Secure boot or fast boot before performing the installation?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you clean install W10, you will not have any HP logo's on the software.

Only on the BIOS splash screen.

Yes, the W8.1 recovery media will set the hard drive to its 'out of the box' condition.

If you are booting from a DVD you will have to enable legacy mode and disable secure boot in the BIOS.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the replies

I'm going to perform it as soon as i can, i'll write here if I have some problems

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

I'm preparing a Usb support: is better changing Boot Sequency in BIOS menu or press "esc>F10" when computer starts?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Normally what I do would be... with the USB flash drive in the PC, restart it.

Tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu, and from that menu, select the USB flash drive.

But if you want to go into the BIOS settings and change the USB flash drive to boot first, you can do that as well.

HP Recommended

Ok, I'm writing from my formatted notebook. It seems to be ok.

I installed all the driver avalaible on my notebook support page, did i well? Some drivers however weren't installed because it gave me some error messages. 

I'm only missing the Nvidia software that allows to optimize games.

I also managed to create a second partition data; however from "Disk management" i can see only the C partition, D partition and two recovery partition (recovery and EFI): is missing the third recovery partition or it's ok?

HP Recommended

From what you wrote, that seems normal.

Do you have any devices that still need drivers?

If so, they would be listed under an Other Devices, device manager category.

If you are, please post the hardware ID's for them so I can post the links to the drivers you need.

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID.

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

How come the nVidia graphics driver didn't install the nVidia control panel.

Everything should have been installed with the two graphics drivers...Intel + Nvidia.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.