Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavillion K4E58EA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am writing about a problem with my laptop, to do with the 'ntfs.sys' file.

My laptop froze a while back and I couldn't do anything obvious, so I had to turn it off by the power button. It wasn't like my laptop to do it, so I was quite confused. The next day, I turned it on and got the 'Your Pc Did Not Start Correctly' Error. Upon looking on the internet for answers, I was told to run the Start Up Repair in Advanced options of the Troubleshoot section. I did this, and it still wouldn't work. But, it provided a path to the log file, so I went in to the admin CMD and found the file. Upon examining this file, there was only one error, I have copied it exactly below:

Root cause found:
-------------------------------
Boot critical file c:\windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys is corrupt.

Repair action: File repair
Result: Failed. Error code =  0x490
Time taken = 81532 ms

Repair action: System files integrity check and repair
Result: Failed. Error code =  0x17
Time taken = 81532 ms

------------------------------
------------------------------

I have tried all other options in the troubleshoot menu, including to start in safe mode, but EVERY option didn't work or failed. Even system restart. It looks like it might come to repairing the file in a different way, as I have tried SFC /scannow and other similiar ways from cmd. 

I would appreciate any help given,  And would love to hear back from the community, to see if this is fixable.

Thanks,

J.S

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended
Hi JS

Tap away F2 or ESC key as soon as you power on laptop to go into System Diagnostics, perform extensive hard drive and memory tests. Let me know the results

If everything PASSED,
Create Windows 10 Home UEFI bootable installation USB using Microsoft windows media creation tool, and do a Repair install as given here:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

Hi Visthruth,

Sorry for the late reply, I was not able to access my laptop for some time.

The test failed fairly quickly, here are the results:

System Extensive Test

Battery Check: Primary - OK (0)
Processor Check: PASSED
Wireless Module Check: PASSED
System Board Check: PASSED
Hard Drive SMART Check: PASSED
Hard Drive Short DST Check: FAILED

FALIURE ID : 9QE37X-7T78KF-MFPWLK-60W203
PRODUCT ID : K4E58EA#ABU

Hard Drive 1 - Primary HDD Bay*

System Extensive Test : FAILED

Thanks,

-J.S

HP Recommended
Hi,

Hard drive has failed.

You've to replace it with a new one of similar form factor

2.5 inch SATA 7mm thick internal notebook HDD

Use HP Recovery USB to factory reset after replacement of HDD or
Clean install Windows 10 Home as suggested in my previous post after replacement

Windows will be automatically activated after installation while connected to internet

Additional drivers from here: https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-15-ab200-notebook-pc-series/8499306/mod...

There are 2 main methods you can try to salvage data from failed drive :
1) Create LiveCD from another computer. Boot from this disc in your laptop, then copy the files from failed HDD to another external hard drive connected to notebook.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

2) Take out the failed hard drive out. Connect it to another computer using SATA to USB adapter. Use Windows explorer to copy the files you need from HDD to another external hard drive.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812400542&FM=1

Regards

Visruth
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.