Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Godbero Top Student
Top Student
7 4 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 10 Upgrade: Internal Microphone, Integrated Microphone Array

HDX 16t 1200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The Windows 10 upgrade seems to be working fine on my HDX 16 (I did a clean install).

Now I want to talk to Cortana and cannot get my built-in microphone to work. This brings up two questions.

1. Does my laptop model have an Integrated Microphone Array? I cannot remember the last time it worked, but I thought it had one.

2. If it does have a built-in mic, how do I get Windows 10 and Cortana to hear it?

I have tested and have got things to work with an external (Logitech) headset mic and headphones. And, I have an old unbranded external stand mic that works as well. I just cannot yell "Hey Cortana" at my PC and get anything to happen. I also ran the mic test on the Integrated Microphone Array and it recorded nothing (and I set the array to default).

My driver is IDT High Definition Audio CODEC 6.10.6225.0, dated 7/21/2009.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17328 16626 897 2521
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'd be happy to help you @Godbero

I understand you are not able to activate Cortana by simply speaking into your mic. Based on the product specifications, an HP Pavilion Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone and HP Mobile ScrollSmart Remote Control were included. I suspect these would be internal components and not external, but frankly, I am not 100% certain. You can check your Device Manager to be sure. 

I did find something I think could help you with regards to using the mic with Cortana, please take a look at the following Microsoft article and let me know the outcome of your efforts: Cortana can’t hear me.

If this resolves your inquiry, please click the Accept as Solution button below. If you require further assistance, let me know and I will do all I can to help. Thanks. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Godbero Top Student
Top Student
7 4 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your message. I tried the suggestions in the Microsoft post, but it did not work.

1. I looked for my integrated microphone as instructed and it shows up under Audio Devices. It reads:

Integrated Microphone Array

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Default Device

(under properties it is not muted and turned 100%)

2. Set up your mic

I follow the prompts, but the computer does not hear anything.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17328 16626 897 2521
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Let's back peddle a little, when you open Manage audio devices, and click on the recording tab, are there any devices listed there? If so, select the Microphone and click on configure, this will open the Speech Recognition options. Now, I don't really know that what I am about to suggest is 100% accurate, but I think you may need to have the 'Enable voice activation' selected. Here's the thing, I can help you make sure the Mic is working, but I don't know much about Cortana, you might consider reaching out to Microsoft for further Cortana support. 

Let me know if your Mic works outside of using it with Cortana and we can go from there. Thanks. :cathappy:

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation