cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Texican Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 1
Message 61 of 75
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 10 Upgrade Screen Flickering Problem

For me it was the finger sensor.  The issue only popped up when I opened  my laptop.  It would flicker or sometimes just show the spinning circle in a perpetual wait mode that coud take a few seconds or several minutes.  Once I was able to get to the sign on screen, I was usually okay (usually).  However, as soon as I disabled the finger scanner my problem was solved.  I didn't have be in safe mode.  I just clicked the start button, typed "device manager" and hit enter.  Then I clicked the ">" in front of biometric devices.  Finally, I right clicked on "Validity sensors (WBF..." and selected "disable."  Now I'm able to close and reopen my laptop with no fickering or waiting on the OS to let me back in!  

murbhy Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 62 of 75
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had this problem a couple of months ago and share your frustration.  If you haven't tried contacting microsoft, don't waste your time,  Back then it was over 500 hours wait!  I called my trusty repairman and he solved the problem.  He explained MS scanned my computer before downloading but didn't determine that my computer didn't have what was necessary for acceptence.  Once the flickering started it was impossible to correct using all the "helpful hints" from others because they had a different problem. During my frustration I wished they could be at my computer and I would watch them correct the problem in safe mode!  I noticed on this post there is a download that I could use to get W10.  Ah, no thanks and I'll stick to W7.  When that dies, it's Apple from here on out......

0 Kudos
Slaya655 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 63 of 75
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you can obtain a copy of a windows 10 disk you can run the disk and go to advanced repairs and select system restore

0 Kudos
ttransou Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 64 of 75
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had tried every suggestion on the web including updating drivers, etc.

I even reformatted by laptop, restored to factory with Win 8.0 and then upgraded to Win 10 again. 

Shortly afterward, the flickering returned.

THEN I read your post about the finger sensor, disabled it in device manager - BAM!  FIXED!

NO MORE FLICKERING

THANK YOU THANK YOU 🙂

0 Kudos
borkay Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 65 of 75
Flag Post
HP Recommended

System-Configuration-Services-tab-Windows-10.png

Hi Guys,

Fix Screen flashing issue in Windows 10

1. Open Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DELETE), click File > Run new task, type ‘msconfig’ without quotes and press enter

2. Click on ‘Services’ tab, find two services named ‘Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel ‘and ‘Windows Error Reporting Service‘ (check the screenshot above), uncheck them to disable, if Windows prompts you for a restart, do it.

3. After the restart, hopefully your screen may not flash.

Good Luck.

Bora Orkay

MCSE/CCNA/CIPT

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jmenninkainen Top Student
Top Student
7 7 0 0
Message 66 of 75
Flag Post
HP Recommended

For me just disabling Fingerprint sensor driver wast't enough. I've got HP 8560w and was trying all possible things until noticed 'LogonUi.exe' fails (in Event viewer-Applications) and 'DpCrProv.ll' from 'HP Protect Tools' causes it. After upgrading to Windows 10 the first boot was just fine, but on second boot it got flickering (or flashing) in startup before logon screen appears. It was possible to start Windows 10 in 'Safe mode', but normally it wouldn't even ask user name.

0 Kudos
mmanford Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 67 of 75
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have had this problem since upgrading and think I have finally fixed it by updating the display adaptor drivers, but not by doing it from the Device manager, update Driver software, but by finding out what the Display adaptor is then finding it on the manufacturer's website, specifically for Windows 10 and 64 Bit or 32 bit depending on your PC/Laptop architecture, downloading it from there and installing it with the download file. Flickering now stopped and stable for a few hours at least. Just hope it lasts!

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
18 17 0 5
Message 68 of 75
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Which manufacturer had the updated driver for your machine? My HP display adapter is an Intel HD Graphics 4000 and it is one that was customized by HP when originally installed. The generic Intel driver has beem updated many times and it works with Windows 10. The custom HP driver does not because it has not been updated. I've asked the question here many times whether I can safely install the generic driver, but no one has replied. What are your thoughts on this?

0 Kudos
write_on Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 69 of 75
Flag Post
HP Recommended

weekycc , Brilliant! Thank you! I have no idea where this is going to show up so I'll restate it here for others. 

It's the SimplePass fingerprint Reader!

go to: Device Manager/Biometric devices/Validity Sensors

Double click for Properties

Select Driver tab

Uninstall driver

"okay" for Uninstall Driver 

Boom. Didn't even need a reboot. 

0 Kudos
Keke74 Student
Student
2 1 0 0
Message 70 of 75
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, I have literally tried everything with this including  getting the Norton fix and rolling back the MEI to a 9.XX driver.

Still nothing. I have to press and hoid the power button to reset my PC every day, which obviously  is not good for a whole load of reasons.

Is it definitely the finger print sensor? And if so, is the only solution to disable it? If so, that's pretty **bleep**....having to disable a feature of my HP laptop just because Intel or HP weren't ready for Windows 10....

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation