cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ald_garcia
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 8.1- Recovery Drive issue

HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-p229
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi everyone, 

I've been trying to upgrade to Windows 10 for a while now from Windows 8.1, the Windows 10 files manage to download quite successfully in the beginning, saying I have enough space etc, so it all looks dandy for a minute or two. However once the files are downloaded,  it tells me I don't have enough disk space. It turns out the file has been downloading to my Recovery Drive which really doesn't have enough room in the first place. 

So my question is, how do I stop the Windows 10 upgrade from downloading into my Recovery Drive, and move the downloading location to somewhere more sensible? I've tried restarting the process, deleting the downloaded file from the Recovery Drive, but it still recreates the same files in the same place. I haven't found any option as to if I can move the download location so far either. 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,905
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 8.1- Recovery Drive issue

Hi @ald_garcia,  

Welcome to the HP Forum! It is a terrific place to find answers and tips! For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide. First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. You posted your model as 15-p229, there should be a couple of letters after it. example 15-p229na. Would you verify the model and let me know the exact model.  HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number?

I understand that when the Windows 10 upgrade downloads, it is choosing the recovery partition but it fails due to not having enough space. You have deleted the download file from the recovery drive.

I suggest you create a Windows 10 USB and try a clean install of Windows 10. Be sure to backup all your data before attempting this. If you have not created your recovery media yet, now is the time. 

HP Notebook PCs - Creating a Recovery Disk on a USB Flash Disk

Use Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to Create Installation Media or Upgrade PC (from thewindowsclub.com)

How to Clean Install Windows 10 (from tenforums.com)

Please keep me apprised of your progress.

Please click the Thumbs Up” below to thank me for my efforts! If one of my posts help you to resolve the issue you are experiencing, please click the "Accept as Solution" so that others who may be having the same difficulty can find the answer more efficiently. Thanks for taking part in the HP Forums!

Sparkles1

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation