Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Bisjer Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 10 update to Anniversary version fails - BIOS issue?

ProBook 6545b
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Windows 10 has been running fine for some time, but attempt to update to Anniversary fails. The update runs fine until the point after restart where it states "The machine will restart several times"; soon into that sequence when  attempting a restart, the machine switches itself off instead. When I then switch it back on manually, the update is lost and the system resets itself to the previous Windows version.

A Microsoft technician worked for hours before concluding that I would have to do a full, clean WIndows 10 installation, after which all files and applications would be lost and needed to be reinstalled.

I have been wondering if the faulty restart behaviour is related to the BIOS somehow, and I have had it reinstalled from HPs site with no change. So, my questions are

1. Can BIOS be the cause? Btw, I have turned the fast restart option (under power schemes) off.
  2. I note that I got a "legacy" BIOS installed. Is UEFI available for this laptop, and would that make a difference?
  3. If I do install UEFI, will Windows 10 and applications run as before or could other issues arise?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Provost Provost
Provost
15471 15416 1440 3423
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bisjer

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I have a desktop that has been running Win10 since the very first days of the Insider Program, meaning that I have updated it LOTS of times -- and always, without any problems.

But, like so many other systems, it also FAILED the Anniversary Update.

Some tech forums are reporting that the failure rate with this update exceeds the reports of successes -- as this is, for all intents and purposes, installing a NEW version of Win10, not just a bunch of updates.

What worked for me, and many others as well, is the following:

1) Use this MS link to download and create Win10 install media: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

2) Insert that media in your PC while Win10 is running -- do NOT boot from it!

3) Open the drive containing the media, right-click on setup.exe and run it

This will start the Update -- which can take 45 minutes or more.

And NO, the problem is NOT with the BIOS version -- as mine updated fine using the method I mentioned above and I did NOT make any BIOS changes.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Bisjer Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your kind assistance, but before I embark on it, may I ask:

1. It will perform an update, not a new, clean installation (losing current data), right?
  2. So which of the Media Creation tools do I select?

I will appreciate your holding my hand a little bit further ;-) 

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
15471 15416 1440 3423
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As to your questions ...

1) As I mentioned, do NOT boot from the media but instead, while running Windows, insert the media and launch the Update.  This will perform something known as a Repair-Install -- which retains your data, settings, and applications.

2) You click on the Media Creation Tool and select the option to create install media -- either USB or DVD -- depending on which one you want to use.  USB is faster, so that is generally preferred over DVD.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Bisjer Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately it keeps failing at the same spot, which is at the first restart after 100% completed updates. It shuts down fully, and after a manual turn back on, it is unstable for some cycles where it shuts down again and needs manual turn-on.

When it comes up, I am told that the installation failed in the SAFE_03 phase of the BOOT-operation, and the error code 0xC1900101-0x20017.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation