Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Message 1 of 250 (83,147 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows 10 updated now HP Pavilion won't wake up from sleep

Product Name: HP Pavilion 15
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since I upgraded to W10 this week, my laptop now will not wake up from sleep.  I've searched around on the net and so far can only find people having problems putting their laptop to sleep.  I did follow the advice from one of those on the HP forum, to upgrade a driver, which I figured couldn't hurt.  It made no difference though.  

When I come to wake my computer up, which always was by just lifting the lid, now nothing.  The power light will glow solid and the wifi light glows orange (as opposed to its usual white solid when machine is running).  Other than that, noting.  No button pressing or screen tapping of any kind will bring it to life and the only solution is to press and hold the power button to force full shutdown and start again. 

May be only 3 days into it but it's already driving me mad.    

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Julie

Accepted Solution

Re: Windows 10 updated now HP Pavilion won't wake up from sleep

This is the way I got it to work.

I did a factory restore of windows 8 and then downloaded windows 10 iso from microsoft and reinstalled.

Yeah you will have to back up everything first since you are doing a factory restore, but so far it wakes from sleep with the lid open or closed. Also seems to boot faster and shuts down properly also, something it wasn't doing before. I didn't try to roll back to 8 because I heard about problems doing that. Don't know if this will work for everyone but it did for me. Hopefully for good. Will report back if that changes so no one wastes time trying it.

View solution in context
Top Student
Message 2 of 250 (83,134 Views)

same problem here...have written this issue to hp customer care .i will let you know the reason wen they reply

Intern
Message 3 of 250 (83,113 Views)

Thanks - I did find another thread on it (maybe yours?  Can't remember who posted!) just after I posted this one.  Mega frustrating.  I did lots of test wake-ups on it yesterday and it seemed to be ok, but then after a longer sleep it didn't.  I have wondered about software conflicts, seeing what was running when it wouldn't wake (VLC Media Player for instance) as opposed to nothing running in the tests.  So I've updated VLC, now running a full system check and have also removed the password on restart to see if that will fix it.  Can't test that yet as system scan still running but soon I'll be leaving it for a few hours so will see if anything I've changed will make a difference.  Will update later but any other brainwaves welcome in the meantime!

Strangely though - don't know if you found this - when I completed the upgrade, the settings had changed to remove password on wake up, which I'd always had set - and I had to manually enable this as it was protected in the advanced settings so I did wonder if this might have some bearing on it - hence now trying the option of having no password set.  Seems strange that it would change that setting and decrease the security but at the moment I'll try anything!

Intern
Message 4 of 250 (83,112 Views)

Incidentally I checked in my HP support manager thingummybobby and there were no updates to install in there

Intern
Message 5 of 250 (83,088 Views)

Intern
Message 6 of 250 (82,981 Views)

Update from earlier....

It was just the same after checking for any and all available updates both through Microsoft and HP, also from running full system scan for any viruses and any software conflicts.  Still no joy.  Took off the password requrement on wake up, still no change.   

However, after several hours of sleep, I just went to try again and it did spring into life.  Bugger only knows why/how as I did nothing since the last time it bummed out on me and I had given up.

However, since the seemingly successful wake up, once again (as was the case yesterday a couple of times during testing) Cortana and my start menu have a critical error and won't open up, so I can't do anything other than to restart...... yet again.  

Beginning to wish I'd never trusted this bloody Windows 10 thing.  My computer was absolutely fine until they went and "fixed it".  

Anyone mind if I swear...............

Intern
Message 7 of 250 (82,957 Views)

[ Edited ]

There are several threads about this problem here and on the Windows 10 forum. Most of the replies come from HP users, mainly those with a Pavilion or Envy. However, I've also seen complaints from a Dell and an Alienware user.

This is my thread on it here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/Why-is-Windows-10-causing-my-Pavilion-to...

This is my thread on the Windows 10 forum: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-pc-laptop/370558-why-windows-10-causing-my-laptop-freeze...

Some have tried taking out the battery, but that seems to be only a temporary fix, by some accounts. A few, like myself, will call the HP warranty division tomorrow to complain. For those without warranties, the one option that seems to work is to revert back to 8.1 and wait  a few months for the bugs to be worked out before re-downloading Windows 10.

Top Student
Message 8 of 250 (82,831 Views)

Same problem here. Laptop is an HP 15-p100dx. Once the laptop goes to sleep for any signigificant amount of time, it does not wake up. Only way around this is to force shut-down, by holding the power button. Very frusterating.

Intern
Intern
Message 9 of 250 (82,742 Views)

Hi guys! I had the same issue, but I got into a support chat with an HP Technician, the first time it was a temp fix, second time it seems to be working great! Heres how to fi the issue:

1. Go to this link: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html

2. Put in your product name or number (Can find this out by doing Esc + fn)

3. Click Option 2

4. Change the top blue bar to Windows 8.1

5. Install the BIOs driver

6. You should be good to go after installing!

*I have recommended this on the forums and there is not a BIOs update for Envy users...hopefully HP will come out with one, but pavilion users there is one!

So far I have had no issues! If there do seem to be issues I will let you guys know! Please let me know if you run into any issues, I will try to help, also if you see anyone having the same issue please help them this seems to be a HUGE problem.

Intern
Message 10 of 250 (82,692 Views)

Well... I've followed that.    I keep my fingers crossed!  I'll send it to sleep for a good while now and see what happens, hopefully that will do the trick - if it does d0n, you will go to the top of my Christmas card list!  Thanks so much :-)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation