cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Walker127
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 7 Recovery - Error 0xe0f00013 in recovery disk

HP Pavilion dv4 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I suspect a hard drive failure on my old notebook (2009 vintage)

HP Pavilion dv4-1530ca

Model: VM160UA#ABC

[Personal information removed]

Windows 7 - 64 bit SP1

BIOS Version/Date  Insyde F.67, 29/11/2010

Memory upgrade from 4 to 8 GB (2015)

I have been through the recovery process - several times using my 4 recovery disks.

All hardware has been removed from the laptop (e.g. the mouse - memory still at 8 GB)

Each time the recovery process goes to completion and then I see  Error 0xe0f00013

I have done a Google search and ended up at this HP site.

Question #1:  What this error code mean?

Does it mean a hard drive failure? If so, is there a compatible hard drive that I can use to replace it. I have read of users have replaced there hard drive with a 'hybrid' drive that will not function.

Question #2: Can I recover from this error? If so how?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,905
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Walker127,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips! For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that you have attempted a recovery four times resulting in  the same error message  (0xe0f00013) after completing the process.

To rule out the hard drive and memory as a possible cause, please test them  for hardware failures.  HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista). If no issue have been found, please try this workaround from @DavidPK:

Error code #0xe0f00013, while using factory image restore

Please let me know the outcome.

To express appreciation for my post please click the Thumbs Up Icon.  If my post resolves the issue you are experiencing, please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find what worked for you! 

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Walker127
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello

I followed your link to  "HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista)" It refrences the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI)  which I have read is firmware code from a chip on your motherboard that provides extra functionality. However, my HP Pavilion is too old. I followed the BIOS update path to checkand found that I have the latest version of the BIOS.

I have run the memory test - no problems

I have run the disk test  - it never completes (therefore I suspect a disk problem)

However, before I run out and buy another disk I want to understand the what the error code (Oxe0f00013) signifies.

If, for example, it was a logic board error, then I would buy another computer.

Also I read, on this forum, that 'hybrid' disks appear to be incompatible with HP's Recovery Manager. This caused me to pause.

So, I am not ready to jump off the HP site and buy another copy of Windows 7 ... just yet

Thanks

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,905
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Walker127,

Thank you for the update.

I grasp that the memory test passed but the hard drive test does not complete.  

Rather then buying a Windows 7 disk, did you try the workaround by@ DavidPK, if so, did you get the same error? When I checked the specification for your notebook it lists a 500GB hard drive, but does not mention it being an MSata.  HP Pavilion dv4-1530ca Entertainment Notebook PC - Product Specifications Have you made any hardware changes to your system?  Have you changed any partitions on the drive? You could also check the manufacturer of the drive for specific software for testing the drive. An example would be Data Lifeguard Tools for Western Digital drives?

If the issue remains, please contact HP Support with the error code for assistance. Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support

Please let me know the outcome.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,905
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Walker127,

If you do not normally have Internet access, you could have a friend or associate download and save the utility to a disk or USB for you or go to a hotspot.

Please keep me posted.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Walker127
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sparkes1

It's now a month later.

I was disappointed that neither the HP support site nor the HP support forum could not tell me the meaning the the original Windows 7 Recovery failure code (0xe0f0001​​3). Why give the user a code, if no one knows what the code means?

I took my computer to a local computer store and got them to install a solid state drive and reload Windows 7. As the new solid state drive was not the same size as the old failed hard drive, a two-step process was required, but it worked.

I reinstalled my applications , recovered my personal files from a backup, and everything is now working. The new solid state drive is much faster the old failed hard drive. Software provided by the solid state drive vendor also monitors the heath status of the new drive - a nice touch.

Thanks

Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,905
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi  @Walker127,

Thank you so much for the update!

Although I was not able to discern the exact meaning of the error code after researching, it does usually mean that there is a problem with the hard drive.   

I am very glad that you are back up and running.  🙂

Sparkles1

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation