Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 3 (4,107 Views)

Windows 7 and Scanjet 4670

I cannot get my HP Scanjet 4670 to work with my Windows 7 64-bit OS.  I have tried all the fixes recommended on this website to no avail.  When I tried downloading the basic 4600 setup program, I kept receiving the error message that I needed a WIA driver to use with this device.  Help!

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 3 (4,098 Views)

Re: Windows 7 and Scanjet 4670

Hi,

This is from Microsoft:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-7-wont-scan-w-hp-scanjet...

Microsoft and Apple break thousands of computers, printers, scanners .... they are helping other vendors to sell new products.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Regents Professor
Message 3 of 3 (4,080 Views)

Re: Windows 7 and Scanjet 4670

[ Edited ]

@amy44107,

You might try the HP Print and Scan Dr. found here if you have not already done so. 

Additionally, it doesn't look like this particular scanner has a Windows 7 driver.  Sadly, this is common with the evolution of operating systems and hardware that was introduced a few versions of Windows prior to to Windows 7. 

You can try installing this Vista driver in compatibility mode. 

Download the file, but don't run it. 

Navigate to the file and right-click it and select properties. 

Select Compatibility and check Run this probram in compatibility mode for:.  Select Windows Vista (service pack 1 or 2 is fin

Click apply and ok.

Now, install the download and it should attempt to install the driver in compatibility mode. 

I cannot guarantee the compatibility mode will work, but it's the best chance for a driver. 

Additionally, the following process is a good step towards resolving WIA issues.

Follow the steps below to check the WIA service.

1.  Type services.msc in run or search program and files (bottom of Start menu).

2.  Scroll down to the WIA Windows Image Acquisition.

3.  Make sure that this service is running.  Click Stop, and then Restart to be sure. 

4.  Restart the computer.

Restart the dependencies services.

1.  Click on Start, in Search box type "services" without quotes.

2.  Scroll down until you see Windows image Acquisition (WIA).

3.  Double-click on it and go tot he tab called Dependencies. 

4.  2 services should be listed.

5.  Exit that windows and look for Remote Procedure Call (RPC).

6.  Make sure it's on manual or if it is on Auto, just leave it.  Make sure the service is started though. 

7.  Go to Shell Hardware Detection and double-click it. 

8.  Set the start up type as manual and hit apply. 

9.  You should be able to star the service by hitting Start. 

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation